I need Registry values/data for Start Menu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

droidbot7000

In XP Home, I'm trying to fix my Start Menu by editing the Registry values in:
(A.)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Common Programs\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Common Start Menu\

(B.)
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Programs
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Start Menu\

but I am unclear about WHAT DATA SHOULD BE UNDER THESE 4 REGISTRY VALUES to fix the Start Menu.
The problem I am trying to fix in my Start Menu is that looks the same as before, but when I hover over or click the All Programs submenu it doesn't appear. The hard drive light doesn't even come on like before when it was at least looking for my shortcuts. All the shortcuts are on the hard drive in the correct folders where they should be but the only way I can access them is through the Windows Explorer file mgr. The problem started after a Windows Update install, which I believe corrupted the Registry.

Here are the data strings that are already in those Registry values:
(A.) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Common Programs\

"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs"
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Common Start Menu\

"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu"

(B.)
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Programs "%USERPROFILE%\Start

Menu\Programs
"
and
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFoldersStart Menu '%USERPROFILE%\Start

Menu
"

I don't have any previous System Restore Points available on my system.
Am I editing the correct values? Should I also edit HKEY_ CURRENT_USER?
Is this the correct data?
Am I on the right track?
Are there other steps I need to take?

droidbot7000

Rollin' Rog said:
Did you manually turn off System Restore (shame on you if you did), because Windows updates normally create a checkpoint prior to their actual install.
Thank goodness I still have my self-respect because I did not turn off System Restore! Seriously, I know I had it turned on last time I checked it, about a year ago. Maybe some malware turned it off or something. Anyway you can bet I'll be checking it quite often fno.
Thanx 4 the files. Mine match up OK. It must be something else. Maybe the question should be:
"WHAT ITEM CONTROLS WHETHER OR NOT THE START MENU DISPLAYS THE "ALL PROGRAMS" SUBMENU WHEN SELECTED?"
Also, could I fix it without any bad consequences if I did a Repair Install? I only have the OEM CD, but maybe it would be worth buying the Microsoft CD if this would fix it. Do they now come with SP2 included?

The section of the registry you are working in has nothing to do with the appearance or content of the Start menu. You are altering startup programs---things that start on boot.
EDIT: Ignore the above---it's wrong.

In any case, nothing in the registry will affect whether the shortcuts in the Start Menu work correctly, except the root definition of link files. They are simple linkfiles (shortcuts) that contain the information on their targets within themselves.

What exactly are you trying to fix? Do the shortcuts to your programs appear but not work I realize you siad they don't work when you "hover", but what about click)? What happens when you click one? Do the shortcuts on the desktop work?

When you access the programs through explorer, are you running them from the exe's or from the shortcuts in the Start Menu folders?

What about other accounts (Do those work)?

droidbot7000

I have Windows XP Home. My Start Menu won't display the All Programs submenu when hovering or clicking since installing Windows Update KB898461. Also, ToolTips appear on all items except All Programs and menus are missing from Windows Explorer. Tried switching to "Classic Start Menu" but then it doesn't appear at all!
I don't know if this is related but I used to always see the process igfxtray.exe in Task Manager's processes, but don't anymore.
Normally I would do a System Restore but I don't have any previous System Restore Points available on my system because it got turned off somehow by some malware or something since the last time I checked it, about a year ago.
I can't do a a Repair Install because I only have the OEM Windows CD.
All the shortcuts are on the hard drive in the correct folders where they should be, but the only way I can access them is through the Windows Explorer file mgr.

What controls whether the Start Menu displays the All Programs submenu and what can I do to fix it?

droidbot7000

All the registry values did match the ones you have kindly pointed out, but the problem still remains. Tried switching to "Classic Start Menu" but then it (Start Menu)doesn't appear at all!

Have you looked at what I said Droid in your second post on this very subject.
Wolfey

I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a shot. Go to Start > Run and enter:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Also confirm whether this problem occurs in all User Accounts. You can test the Administrator account by starting in Safe Mode. And you can enable a "guest" account using the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online