1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need self power from serial port lines, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlbertB, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Hi. I have a requirement to enable software which I am writing to control communications via a serial port to a circuit box in a specific way.

There is a small, very simple hand built piece of hardware connected at the other end. The PC has to indicate a short countdown with a few beeps at the box. It then has to read back a confirmation from the box made with a push button switch.

I'm trying to set up my reporting system whereby I can toggle one serial port line to indicate the beeps. A piezo sounder in the box can be driven direct from that. The confirmation signal was to be a change of state on one of the other lines. I have a simple circuit built which will pull a line high (or low) but here is the difficulty, it must draw remote power from the serial lines themselves.

I could send my timer on the RTS line and receive confirmation on the DTR line which can both be SET/CLRd directly in software. But which lines are left which I can use to steal power for my +ve and -ve supplies?

DSR and CTS function seems to not be as controllable in the sense of setting one permanently high and the other permanently low.

I had thought that the TD line stayed high at all times when not transmitting data which I will never need to do so I could use it for my -ve line. First measurements show that this seems to not be the case. Other than that I have reached the end of my current knowledge.

I don't really have enough experience to see a way through this problem, but surely someone knows a solution. Any thoughts anyone?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A Google search for RS-232 Powered gives a number of good leads to methods of powering equipment from an RS-232 port. Here is one page found by Google that my help ...

Get power out of PC RS-232 port
    http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/rspower.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice