1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need some advice

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

I'm running an old IBM win95 with an InstallShield that won't let me uninstall most of what is on the "Beast". I don't even have enuf space to install Sound Blaster. But I have loads of Games, MS Works, Quicken, etc that I can live without. Now I'm in DOS, and I used DEL to delete something to do with AOL--and the file disappeared.

Now, can I DEL InstallShield with impunity so that I can go to Add/Remove and remove all these useless files? Or would it be better to stay in DOS and just blast away with DEL. The only program I want is a Guarddog ScreenSaver and maybe the program Dogz. The rest can be sent to SCO.

Thanks for any suggestions

Xico :)

2. TOGG

TOGG

Xico,

I'm not sure but I think that you can happily remove unwanted progs in the way you describe BUT, I seem to remember reading somewhere, that that method will not remove any of those programs Registry entries, leaving you with a bloated Reg just waiting for an excuse to foul up any new install you try!.

Then again, I could be mistaken. Let's see what the experts think.

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

HMMMMMmmmmm. Thank you Togg! That is something to consider. Definitely. Thanks,

Xico :D

4. TOGG

TOGG

And another thought has occurred to me. Wholesale folder/program deletion probably won't make any allowances for any shared files which might be in those folders and which you might need later.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is format c:, reinstall Windows an option?

6. TOGG

TOGG

Well, that thought actually crept into my addled old brain and then ran out again before I had had a chance to 'take it in'.

The passage of time takes a heavy toll of my ever diminishing grey cells!

7. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Togg!

I picked up "The Beast" for 10 bucks at a thrift shop for the purpose of playing in DOS without suffering any serious losses. There is absolutely nothing on this machine but this Guarddog Screensaver that I want. In fact, I was thinking of reformating it--and would if I can get the screensaver transfered to my 98. I'm having trouble hooking up to my home network with it, so I hooked up parallel cable--which worked for a week or two--but that's another problem. Someone suggested that I take it to the highest rooftop and . . . but the problems are really a set of lessons that I don't mind learning. The screensaver might have a nontransferable code in it, so that's another project--learning a bit of debugging--cos the company, PF Magic, is no longer trading.

I don't know that I want to bloat the registry, but there may be a solution to that problem too.

Thank you for thinking about "The Beast," the IBM Aptiva, win95, and the possible solutuions, and thank you for the suggestions.

Cheers,

8. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you Candy! Yes, reformating is an option, but it's kind of a final solution. When all else fails (which seems to be happening slowly, or I'm gradually become aware that the alternatives are running out. But, if I can't save the screensaver, then I might just as well reformat it and try to put Knoppix or Slackware on it.

Cheers,

9. ~Candy~

Can't you just copy the .scr to a floppy?

10. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Candy!

Yes, I copied the screensaver to a floppy, but it comes up with a white message box floating from the left hand top corner toward the right bottomhand corner that says Internal Error, Program can't run. I've been talking with John1 about it, and he thought it probably had a code built in to make it nontransferable, and that I'd have to learn to debug it--if I was that interested. But since the company doesn't trade anymore, I couldn't even find out the source code to debug it.

In the mean time, I just stopped an automatic message for the auto-run CD player in My Computer|View|Options|Edit File Type in which I discovered the file ScreenSaver. The "Action" has listed Install Configure and Test. (Test in in bold) Unfortunately I don't know what to do with the information--If I could put that "Install" on a floppy, I'd have it, wouldn't I? Someplace in the heart of the Beast (the IBM) the Install resides.

How do I find it to put it on a floppy?

Cheers,

Xico ;)

And thank you for the suggestions and the help. I appreciate it, believe me.

11. ~Candy~

Just do a search for it, when found, send to floppy disk......

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Why can't you run Norton Ghost and make a copy of the drive that the screensavers on. Then format the drive. Ghost has a feature (I thought) that allowed you to reinstall things program by program, so after the format you could simply reinstall only the screensaver. You could even check the Norton web site and see if they have a trial version of Ghost if you don't have it. Just an idea :cool:

I would try what candy says first. If that works it would be a much easier way to do it ;)

13. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, Candy! I'll try that. Thanks.

Xico:D

14. TOGG

TOGG

15. xico

xico Thread Starter

THANK YOU, Togg! That's an awesome page. I have two other 5 dollar 95s, so I can certainly use that page. (I picked them up at what you call a charity shop. Something to learn on, and fiddle with. So I don't blow the 98.) Yeah, that's an awesome page. Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!