1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need some expert help with data transfer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janebeth, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janebeth

janebeth Thread Starter

I used a Seagate external drive to backup my HP laptop. The backup added only new data. Just one click and the Seagate did everything.

I forgot to backup for about two months. Then the HP motherboard failed. I have all the data on my Seagate except for the last two months. I’d like to backup that last two months of data from my HP laptop.

I had no choice but to remove the HP hard drive and put it in an external USB case to access the data. I bought a new Lenovo, which does not need backup because it has no data yet. I can use the Lenovo to transfer data from the old HP drive to the Seagate external backup drive.

I am confused about how to do the backup and need some step by step help. I am not computer savvy.

I put the HP drive in a USB on one side of the Lenovo and the Seagate drive on the other side of the Lenovo. The Lenovo “my computer” shows “Hard Disk Drives (1)” -- LocalDisk (C) and “Devices with Removable Storage (1)” -- DVD RW Drive (D). So far so good.

I expected to see just one new drive when I attached the HP external by USB. Instead it shows four new drives shown as: RECOVERY (E), LocalDisk (F), SYSTEM (G) and HP_TOOLS (H).
    QUESTION: What should be backed up? Just Local Disk(F)? How do I do that?

When the Seagate drive is attached it says, “Mixed content options” and includes clicking on “Use this drive for backup”, and then says“What do you want to back up? – Let Windows choose or Let me choose.

Under “Let me choose” it shows two titles: “Data Files” and “Computer” with check boxes under each title.

--“Data Files” has check boxes for “Back up data for newly created users” – and – “endusers Libraries”. Those both seem to be for the Lenovo, which I don’t want to backup.
    QUESTION: Am I correct?

--“Computer” has check boxes for: Local Disk (C), RECOVERY(E), Local Disk (F) and SYSTEM (G). I guess that Local Disk (C) likely refers to the LENOVO, which I do not want to backup. Note that HP_TOOLS (H) is not shown. It seems likely that it is one or more of these boxes that should be checked, but which ones?
    QUESTION: Which boxes should be checked?

Also at the bottom is box to check to: “Include a system image of drives: System Reserved, (C) A system image is a copy of the drives required for Windows to run. You can use it to restore your computer if it stops working.”
    QUESTION: Should this box be checked or does it refer to the Lenovo that I do not want to backup?

I can provide screen shots if that will help.

I’m not sure what to check or how to proceed to save the data from my old HP drive. What should I do? I am not computer savvy.

I want to get the difference in data between what my Seagate already backed-up and new data from the last two months. The data isn't dated and I don't remember exactly what data is new. There was lots of data on the HP before the motherboard failed. That's why I'd like to use the Seagate backup software. There's no point and no room to copy everything. I already have most of the HP data on the Seagate, just not the last two months of data.

I have clearly listed all the drives above. I listed what the new Lenovo shows, what drive letters appear when I add the old HP drive and what the dialogue boxes say when I attach the Seagate backup. Now I just need to know what to do, in clear and specific terms. Step by step. Again, I am not computer savvy. I can provide screen shots.

Thanks for your help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're over-complicating this on a massive scale. Forget about backups at this point and the Seagate drive for now, that isn't the design of the software or backups in general, nor is it the correct or easiest method to recover your data.

Simply connect the drive from the old HP laptop as you've already done to the new laptop, then use My Computer to navigate to the partition that use to be the main(C:\) drive in the HP laptop - this appears to be the one labelled "Local Disk (F)" there you will see all the files from the computer. In there you will see a folder called "Users" and inside that folder you will see another folder with the name of the user account that was used on the old computer. Open that folder and you will find all your data, simply copy that data to the new laptop and you are done.

Note: Windows may give you warning that you cannot open the user account folder and will give you an option to take ownership of it, do that and let it go through the motions as this process may take a while but when it finishes it'll show you the folders and files inside that account.

Once you have copied all the data off the old laptop drive you can then delete the backups on the external Seagate drive and set up a new backup for the new laptop.

3. janebeth

janebeth Thread Starter

Yes your approach may be easier. The old HP drive, Local Disk (F) contains the “Users” folder (along with a list of other folders). Inside the “Users” folder is Public, User A and User B. The data appears to be in those folders. So how do I transfer those folders to my new Lenovo so that everything appears on the Desktop and in the Favorites menu and etc. just like it was on my HP laptop? I want to keep User A seperate from User B.

Did I mention that I’m not computer savvy? I’m sure you are light-years ahead of me in computer knowledge. So I need a step by step approach.

Thanks for your idea and for your help.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Right click on the files or folders in the user folder you want to copy and paste them into the user folder they belong too on the new laptop.

You can hold down the CTRL key down and select the entire Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, Favorites, Movies folders and then do a Copy. Now go to your users folder on the new laptop and paste these folders overtop of the empty ones already there. Do the same thing for the second user but log in as that user.

5. Simba7

Simba7

Ahh.. Ya beat me to it. I was thinking of that, but there might be some permissions issues.

Remember, the links to the programs you had installed on the old system might not be on the new system. You will have to re-install those programs.

6. janebeth

janebeth Thread Starter

I found the Users folder on Local disk (C) on my Lenovo and it contains the files for “enduser” which is the only user name on the Lenovo.

So if I copy the Users folder from the old HP and substitute it for the Users folder on the Lenovo that it might cause problems since I’d lose the Lenovo “enduser” files? I have installed a few programs like Norton Internet Security using the Lenovo “enduser” profile since that’s the only one available on the Lenovo. By the way, the "enduser" folder has a little padlock symbol on the outside. I don’t know what that means, do you?

So I should copy the folder for userA and the folder for userB from the old HP drive and slide the copies into the current Users folder on the Lenovo? So then inside the Users folder it should list “enduser”; userA; userB and Public folder?

You say to log in as that User before transferring the files? Please explain? How can I do that and why? Do I just click switch user (next to the Shut Down button) while my old HP drive is plugged in to the new Lenovo? (I’m using Windows 7).

Should I log in as userA before transferring the folder copy of userA and then log in as userB before transferring that folder copy? Just copying the folders and sliding them into the Lenovo Users folder won’t work ? Must login in as userA or userB first?

Thanks!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, do not copy the entire EndUser folder, open that folder first and you'll see the data folders inside it, those are all you want to copy - the Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies, Favorites folders but not the hidden APPDATA folder which contains program files and settings.

The padlock is there because the folder has permissions set, when you try to access it you'll get the warning message I mentioned earlier.

If you had two user accounts on the HP laptop and each user logged into their own profile and had their own set of documents then you will need to create a second user on the new Lenovo as well and you when copying the data that belongs to each user you want to switch and log in as that user so that you put their data into their user account.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice