1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need some HD help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plissken, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Plissken

Plissken Thread Starter

I have a 250GB Maxtor HD. Long story short, aside from already being a piece of ****, it was damaged in a power surge. I've had to reformat it three times already.

I bought a 300GB Seagate HD to replace it with. I went with Seagate because it's touted to be the best brand out there.

bull****.

Right out of the box, the thing was defective. It would freeze up while loading windows and going through diagnostic checks. I had my friend there with me, he works on the Geek Squad at Best Buy (where I bought it) so he knows his ****. No matter what we did, it wouldn't cooperate. We played around with jumpers and everything. We tried to upgrade the BIOS. We tried to trick it into thinking there was a raid setup. NOTHING worked.

If it wasn't freezing while we tried to upload Windows, while it was loading it would say "Error loading OS" or "NTDLS Missing." A few times, when the Windows CD booted, it was say "Press ENTER to install Windows." When we did, it would say that no hard drive could be found.

When we tried a SeaTools diagnosis, it kept freezing during the checkup.

So we put the Maxtor back in. To say the least, it out-performed the brand-new Seagate. It recognizes the Seagate too as the E:\ drive. But that's it. And no, before anyone asks, it wasn't exposed to static electricity, we were very careful with that. I can't return it to best buy because 14 days have passed and they won't take it back, with or without receipt. It came with a 5-year warranty though (it says it on the box,) so I'm guessing I have to send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement.

You guys got any ideas?

Also: To run my Maxtor, a second HD, and my new vid card (nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT XFX), I need a new power source. I currently have a 400 watt power supply. What would you suggest I upgrade it to, and what's the best price?

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

For clarification, were you able to install Windows onto the new drive? If not, how far into the process does the drive make it? Have you tried clearing/resetting the CMOS and making sure that the BIOS recognized the new drive correctly? How was the drive formatted (how many partitions, quick or normal NTFS format)? What is your current drive configuration (IDE, sata)? If IDE, do you have the drive installed as a master or slave (are there any other devices on the IDE ribbon)? If you could please provide answers to these questions/conditions, we should be able to give you a quick solution!

3. bigbear

bigbear

If you say the hard drive was damaged buy a power surge I would be looking at the motherboard, a power surge would not stop at the hard drive.
    All the other things you have tried would indicate a problem with the mobo

4. Plissken

Plissken Thread Starter

1.) Yes and No. When it froze, it first got to 14%, then we retried and got 32%, and then 44%. Then it went all the way to 100%, but for some reason I forget, though I believe it was because the computer froze, because we didn't meet success. However when I access the E:\ drive from my C:\ drive (Maxtor), there is a WINDOWS folder present. But my friend (GeekSquad A+ cert.) says it doesn't matter because it never worked right.

2.) Yes, we tried that stuff with the CMOS and BIOS

3.) Maxtor has one partition, and we did the same for the Seagate. Maxtor is IDE, Seagate is SATA.

4.) There are no Master/Slave drives, only one drive has ever been accessed at a time.

5.) I think that if it was a motherboard problem, my computer wouldn't start up, and I wouldn't be typing this message right now. I'm lucky enough to get this done before my HD decides to randomly freeze again.

5. thechanmane

thechanmane

OK, thanks for the detailed answers, they definitely shed some light on the issue. bigbear makes an excellent point about the surge affecting other components, and you should definitely consider examining at the very least your memory (with memtest for example) and visually inspect your motherboard for damage. The situation you described regarding your Windows installation reminds me exactly of situations I've encountered when installing Windows on computers with serious CPU (overheating) and motherboard (physical damage) issues. To somewhat finalize your initial opinion and our analysis, i would recommend you preform quick tests on the memory (memtest) and processor (any stress test, CPU Burn-in or Sandra). Obviously, if your memory fails memtest, this is one cause of your problem, and similarly, if your computer crashes during a CPU stress test, you most like have a damaged core. To confirm the hard drive is failing you, try it out in another system (if you have access). If you don't have access to another system, try out the other tests first and see if any of them show results. If you cannot find problems with the other components of you computer, then you most like have hard drive failures; however, i find it unlikely that two hard drives would both fail in the same system unless there were underlying issues. It is more likely that the first hard drive, along with another component, failed when the electricity surge took place. This would then set up you to have all kinds of problems with any future hardware. Keep providing us with detailed updates about your progress and we will be able to give you a solution more quickly.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In the future, please check the profanity at the door, you're overworking our censor software. :eek: I presume you did read the TSG Rules on your way in, right?

7. Plissken

Plissken Thread Starter

I actually typed the stars in. No bull**** ;D

8. JohnWill

I don't really care. "*" substitution is NOT a suitable way to get around the rule. Final warning, please do not use profanity here. There are plenty of boards you can do that on, TSG is not one of them.

9. Plissken

Plissken Thread Starter

All those other diagnostic tests passed. The two hard drives have different problems in their own right. I think I'm going to send it back for a new one. If that doesn't work, then I wouldn't know what to think.

10. thechanmane

thechanmane

Sounds good! If you still encounter problems when you get the new drives, your problem is the motherboard :(, like bigbear suggested. To be honest though, i would highly recommend you test the hard drives in another system before you return them. There is a fairly good chance that your motherboard was damaged by the surge, and your drives may mot be severely damaged. If you have access, test them in a new system, and if they are recognized, format them and then see if anything changes in the problematic computer. If you'd rather just return the drives, that is another option. Keep us posted if you want after u get the new drives; otherwise, good luck and keep coming back with any problems or concerns you run into in the future.

11. Plissken

Plissken Thread Starter

I need to return this seagate and get a new one ASAP. For about three days straight my Maxtor was running fine with no problems at all and after my friend and I restarted it in order to perform tests on the CPU, memory, and motherboard (which all passed), it started screwing up again.

Can I just box this defective Seagate up and send it to them and expect them to send back a new one, or is there some kind of special procedure I need to go through in order to get a new one for free? It comes with a five-year warranty.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    First place to check would be the retailer you purchased it from. If a Brick and Morter you should be able to return it there if it is new enough. Some places give you 14 days some 30 days. If purchased online then contact them to RMA the drive unless it is sold as Manufacturer warranty only. Lastly the Seagate Website would have the procedures for returning one of their drives for warranty Replacement.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  14. Plissken

Plissken Thread Starter

15. JohnWill

Nothing wrong with WD drives, I'd buy it. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice