I need to access a VERY old hard drive!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kingcoldcuts

When it comes to hardware, I am quite the beginner. If there is a link to answer to my questions, I would appreciate it.

I have a VERY old Toshiba laptop (Satellite T1950CS). I have some information on the hard drive I would like to access. The laptop does not power-up/boot-up (either the battery is dead, the internal back-up is dead, or the entire lower board has to be replaced - none of which I would like to fix).

Can I remove the hard drive and access it via my current system? If so, is there a site that has detailed instructions on how to accomplish this? If not, could someone walk me through it?

Thanks in advance!

King Cold Cuts

Likely the drive is a standard 2.5" model, and converter adapters are available to convert then socket to a standard IDE so that it can be slaved in a desktop.

Even easier is a USB enclosure for a 2.5" drive, plug it in and away it should go.

What hardware and Windows version is your "present system" however?

King Cold Cuts,

Assuming your "current system" is a desktop computer, you can take the 2.5 inch hard drive out of the notebook and mount it in an "open bay" on your desktop.
Here is just one example of the hardware required. You can shop around.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

Taking the hard drive out of a notebook is a "major production" and you may end up damaging the notebook, but you make it sound like it is "junk" anyway.

Removing the old drive should be relatively easy, a small phillips screwdriver should be all you need, just look for a hatch or cover. On some laptops you have to get under the keyboard, but I think the Toshibas are pretty easy. Once you get it out and hook it up to another pc, it should appear in 'my computer' as the D: drive and you should be able to access all the files assuming it is still functional

You will need an adapter for the laptop drive so that you can hook it up to a regular pc. The laptop has a standard IDE drive, but the pins on the connector are smaller, the adapter lets you hook up the laptop drive to a standard IDE cable and power supply connector. Here is a link to one with a picture:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705

You should be able to find one at a good computer store or at many sites online. Another option is to get an external usb 2.5" drive case, that way you can use the drive as portable storage for any computer. Here is a link:

http://www.xpcgear.com/enclosures.html

kingcoldcuts

Thanks for the quick replies!

I should tell you what my current system is:

Gateway M505XL laptop computer. I have Windows XP Pro. Currently, I have a C: and a D: configured.

Does that change things?

Thanks again!

King Cold Cuts

For your sake, just hope the laptop hdd isn't dead to, so you spend the money for the converter for nothing......

kingcoldcuts

No kidding!

Is there a way to know before I spend money on the converter?

King Cold Cuts

No, not really since the laptop is dead.
You could try a local fortune teller, but the result would be variable I suspect!

must of those converters are cheap so its not like you are throwing away 100$ more like

5-20$

The adapters only work on a regular PC, if you only have another laptop you will need to go with the external usb case. Very few laptops have a space for a second hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online