1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to capture screen image

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Pennie77, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pennie77

Pennie77 Thread Starter

I need to capture screen image and then be able to edit it.

What software(s) do I need and just tell me generally how
    to do this. Please??

Thank you, Pennie:)

2. Sponsor

3. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Some will recommend Hypersnap DX or Screenhunter - but if you want to see what else is available then see here :

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html

You can read a brief summary of features of each program and see a screenshot of the interface to judge which you prefer.

If you search Youtube using pertinent terms ie 'screen capture tutorial' you will be able to see various working examples.

4. Plantsman

Plantsman

If you just want to capture something on your screen which doesn't use a hardware layer i.e. video then you can just press the PrtScrn key on your keyboard or to capture an active Window press Alt + PrtScrn keys together then load up your graphics editor and choose Edit>Paste from the menu.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That is all I do these days. I just do an Alt+PrintScreen and paste it into Paint and edit it from there. Sure there are fancier things out there to edit it in, but I like to keep things simple.

6. kresknull

kresknull

I’m not qualified to say much here, but I tried that above link and I would recommend caution; I quickly ran into some snags after downloading the two that seemed to be the most highly rated there. These two . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . I would not recommend. I quickly ran into some major snags with both of these [perhaps because I have Vista] as I wanted to change the output format to JPG (90% reduction in quality) and change the destination folder.

The screen capture software I had previously was the free version of WinSnap. That seems to be only so so - and every image has a white boarder around it. I’ve never figured out how to make it stop doing that. I just now went searching and came across this . . .

ScreenHunter 5.0 free
    http://wisdom-soft.com/sh/index.htm

. . . and I didn’t run into any snags. I’m not saying that I did a complete and thorough examination – it’s just that I was able to change the default settings without any discernible problems and the screenshots I made with it (see above) were satisfactory and probably better than the screen shots I get from WinSnap.

EDIT:

Note - that if I had not switched the output format from bitmap to JPG, the quality of the above screenshots would be higher. I switched to JPG because bitmap images take up much more space on a HDD than JPG images.

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

If you want a freeware capture utility with markup capability, try EasyCapture.
    Gadwin and ScreenHunter are both simple to set up and use, but the free versions don't have markup capability.
    If you want to spend a few bucks, get SnagIt HERE. There's a 30 day free trial, but once you've used it you'll want to buy it. It's that good in my opinion.

T. :)

8. karbo

karbo Banned

I sometimes use MWSnap. Free, small and simple.

9. kresknull

kresknull

Very highly rated – but it looks like it hasn’t been updated in quite a while . . .

[​IMG]

The “snags” I had – I would guess – are because I have Vista. I’m sure that both the highly rated ones I had problems with work just fine with other versions of Windows.

10. karbo

karbo Banned

It seems outdated I know but it works good for me on XP Pro SP3, and it's free and simple.

11. hewee

hewee

12. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam

13. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Vista came with Snipping tool which will capture the screen.
    Give it a try, you may like it!

14. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Pennie's specs show XP.
    Like, bummer. Like, you know.:D

15. armly

armly

I've been quite happy with Snagit and have found it well worth the price. Capture with any size region, a window or scrolling window. Snagit seems to maintain the files on rename better than other programs I've used including Illustrator and Photoshop. Its's compatible with many image files.

You can edit the files with inserted captions, text (adjustable fonts) and more.

http://www.techsmith.com/download/trials.asp for trila download.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792482