1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to delete all of my personal info from comptuer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tshabani, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

I've upgraded recently and I would like to sell/dump old computer. How do I delete all personal data before I get rid of it? The biggest worry is that I have used my credit card over the net, and it has auto-completed it when I have used it again. Can I delete the auto-complete memory?

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

There surely is a way. Give more info about your Operating Syatem, browser, etc.

But the simplest way is to take back-up of your data and format the Hard Disk. If you don't want to do that, give more information about your system.

3. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Do you plan on selling this system, with an operating system (Windows) installed on it? If you need to keep Windows installed on it, and you want to get rid of personal data, you could start by doing this:

1) Open up Internet Explorer, go to Tools, then Options. Click on the Content tab, then click on the Auto Complete button. Then click on "Clear Forms" and "Clear Passwords".

2) Once you've done that, click OK, then click on the General tab, then click on the Settings button, then View Files, then highlight all of those files and delete them. Then close out of that window, and click OK, then OK again to close the Internet Options screen.

3) If you're using Windows 98, ME, or XP, you can just go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then Disk Cleanup. Choose your C: drive when prompted, then put a checkmark besides whatever you want deleted (it will produce a list of all temp/junk files that you can delete).

Of course.....if you don't care about leaving Windows installed on it, then you can just reboot your computer, and start hitting F8 right before it says "starting Windows 95" or "starting Windows 98" (depending on what you have). This should bring up a menu of startup options. Choose "Boot to Command Prompt" (or something similar).
    Once you're at the black screen with the flashing C: prompt, type in the following:

format c: /u

NOTE: Again.....ONLY do this if you're sure that you don't need anything else from the computer! There is no way to undo this or reverse it (it's final). This will wipe out and re-write (all zeroes) your Hard Drive.

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

If the HD is not formatted, then it is possible that the files may be recovered using "undelete" or some other software which can recover deleted file/information from the HD. The safest and surest way to permanently delete all the information form your HD is to format it with the /u switch. /u stands for unconditional and nothing can be recovered from the HD once it is formatted with that switch. If you don't use that switch, information can still be recovered, even after formatting!! :rolleyes:

5. marie500

marie500

6. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys! I've used some of the tricks and I've just found a friend that needs a computer, and I trust him not to go digging (I doubt he'd even know how!) So problem solved.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad you found a friend to give you computer to.

It is fairly easy to retrieve the entire contents of a drive even after it has been repartition and reformatted.

There are 3rd party programs that will actually write over the data with 0's. This is the best method of cleaning a hard drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice