1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved i need to format!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by happykl0wn, Jan 14, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. happykl0wn

happykl0wn Guest Thread Starter

i am runnin windows 2000 right, my file system is NTFS, i wanna completely format my HD hoping when i install win2k again it will convert back to FAT32 [i wanna install linux on partition]...ok anyway, you know how you cant load into DOS like in win95/98...how do i format?!?! please help =o

2. happykl0wn

happykl0wn Guest Thread Starter

OMFG...no one can help me? mean *******s...

3. Trboy13

Trboy13

ok, i'm not the best at helping (posts=2) but i think i might be able to help. While your running your comp, just put in the win 2000 install cd, And i think it will ask you if you want to clean install(it did for me, but i was running 98 whenever i did it). If it doesn't, well then i'm not much help. If it does, then when it is installing, it will ask you where to install and ask if you want to format the hd, in ntfs or fat32 blah blah... just pick what you want. If it doesn't work. then i guess you can try popping in the startup disk. and try formatting it by typing format c:\ or somthin like that. but it will only work if you have the format file on your floppy. if its not on there you have to start it up with cd rom support.
    I hope some of the babbling makes sense. I don't think i even understand it, but anyways, good luck.

4. mhughes

mhughes

If you want to do the duelboot here is a good article.

Sponsored by RLX Technologies
    Cut energy costs 5x. Slash operating costs 6x. Use 8x less space. Be the first of your power grid to profit. RLX, Redefining Server Economics.
    For more information, check out TechRepublic's Linux Servers Center or visit RLX Technologies.

Well, you’ve gone and done it now.

You thought ahead when installing Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional on your test machine, partitioning the hard drive so that you could put Linux on the same machine.

Then you took your copy of Red Hat Linux 7.1 and installed it on the partition you created. When you got to the point in the installation where Red Hat asks you where to put LILO (the Linux loader), you just clicked through, allowing it to be put on the default—the master boot record (MBR) of the machine.

But when you rebooted the machine after the Linux install, you had no way to get to your Windows 2000 Professional. The nice graphic list showed up, but the only choice on it was Linux. Whoops!

Getting back to ground zero
    The problem is that the NT boot loader must reside on the MBR of the machine to boot either NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 Professional, which announces as it boots up that it’s built on NT technology.

Here’s the good news: All you have to do is clear LILO out of the MBR, and you will have your Windows 2000 machine back. The bad news is that the location of LILO needs to be set at installation time, and if it gets wiped off the MBR, you’re going to have to reinstall Linux to make it work correctly.

The easiest way to clear LILO out of the MBR is to find your old Windows 98 boot disk (or any boot disk that contains the fdisk utility). Booting from that boot disk, at the A: prompt, type:
    fdisk /mbr

Now you can install Red Hat again, using the workaround below

The rundown on the workaround
    In our example above, everything was done as recommended except for the positioning of LILO during the Red Hat Linux installation. (It is recommended that you always put whatever versions of Windows on the dual boot machine first, and then install the Linux.)

When you get to the LILO screen in the Linux Red Hat 7.1 installation , you will have the option to install LILO on the first sector of the boot partition. Hopefully, when you partitioned your Linux partition, you made a boot partition (/boot) as is recommended during that part of the install.

Also make sure that you click the button to make a boot floppy, which you will need later to start Linux because the NT boot loader is not going to show Linux in its list until after you complete the workaround.

When you get to the end of the Linux install, it is going to want to reboot the machine, so go ahead and insert the boot floppy you just made so the machine will boot from that.

If your CMOS is set to boot from the disk before the hard drive, you should boot into Linux. If you installed GNOME, then you will probably boot into the console mode, which is fine. If you installed KDE, it may boot into the KDE desktop, but you can call up a terminal session from there as well.

If you didn’t log in as root, you need to su to root and then run /usr/sbin/rdev /boot/vmlinuz to see the location of the boot sector of the Linux partition. If you get something other than an “hd” address, as in “hda,” then you can just type “mount” (without the quotes) and you will see a line similar to:
    /dev/hda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw)

Whatever that address for boot is, it goes in the dd command, which will look like:
    dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

This command line peels the bootsector from your Linux-root partition, and if the bootsect.lnx “bs” value is greater than 512, then something is wrong and the dual boot won’t work.

Copy the bootsect.lnx file to a DOS-formatted floppy by either mounting the floppy and using the cp command or by not mounting the floppy and using the mcopy command, which reads: mcopy bootsect.lnx a:

Now, restart your machine without any boot floppy in the A: drive.

After the machine starts, copy the bootsect.lnx file onto your C: drive. Then get to the command line prompt and type:
    C:\attrib –s –r c:\boot.ini

so that you can change the permissions on the boot.ini file. Then, with Notepad, open the boot.ini file. Hint: You will need to actually type in the filename of the boot.ini file to open it.

Now add the following line below the last line of the file:
    C:\BOOTSECT.LNX=”Linux”

Save and close the file. Then, you need to restore the permissions to the boot.ini file by typing:
    C:\attrib +s +r c:\boot.ini

Now when you reboot the computer without anything in the A: drive, you should get a screen that lists all the booting options for the computer, including one that says Linux.

Here’s what to do if it all goes wrong
    If, for whatever reason, the machine doesn’t boot properly, or you don’t get your options to choose Linux, there are other ways to solve the problem.

The first thing to try is to redo everything beginning with the dd command and try it again. The next thing to try would be to go to the HowTo site and look for the instruction on installing and running a program called BootPart, which automates the last part of the installation. You might also want to read the Troubleshooting section on the HowTo site.

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    You can't format through DOS. However, DOS will read and NTFS partition ONLY if it's C:\. The format command will not work. I suggest you delete the partition and just create a new one in it's place.

swb

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!