I need to get into the startup on Win 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snappy_31

Hey guys & girls .. I am either forgetting or have never known a way to get into the startup on a Win 2000 machine .. I have some stuff I would like to disable from starting each time.

I know to some of you this will be an easy one Thanks in advance
Peter

crjdriver

Win2k loads programs from the registry or from the startup folder. There is no msconfig for win2k; you can download one from the web and install it in your winnt\system32 folder.

Here is a list of the reg keys that load programs. Note you may not have all of the keys; that is normal.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

The startup folder needs no explanation; just open it and delete what you want.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online