1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to learn some programming!!!

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by swalsip, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swalsip

swalsip Thread Starter

Hey all ... I am a creative guy. A designer that is finding that in order to get hired he needs some back-end programming skills. .ASP or PHP. I have created websites using Dreamweaver and Fireworks But now I need to get serious. Can a creative with little desire to program learn to program? Any suggestions?

2. dudeking

dudeking

Oh yes they can:D:D

Learn PHP, honestly once you get really into it its really easy :D:D

I love it, have so much fun playing with php, start here http://www.w3schools.com/php

3. lavazza

lavazza

Yep... the w3schools site is an invaluable resource - but don't try running before you know how to walk, by yourself

www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro
    They're not saying this just to fill in a bit of white space!

Dreamweaver may well have allowed you to create what you wanted, but unless you know how, then you can't fix it when (not if) it breaks and, if you add any other language - server or client side - to the mix, the potential for bugs will grow exponentially

Luckily, the w3schools site has ALL you need to really understand the fundamentals... of html, css, javascript, php and many more languages :)

4. swalsip

swalsip Thread Starter

I do understand and can decipher HTML its the "some scripting knowledge" part that concerns me. I am just tired of trying to find people to help with projects. I am willing to pay reasonable rates (depending on the project) and some can be of larger profile sites. I am trying to get something going but reliability is an issue.

5. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Introduction to Programming -A good introduction to programming, covers the fundamentals that each language has in common.

Most programming guides/books/tutorials either cover how a language works OR they introduce you to the most common functions.

W3Schools does the latter. And while its better than almost all other tutorials I it could be much, much better.

As for learning; first I would first install a server on your computer (AppServ and WAMP are good choices) than I would start coding.

And although PHP is very simple it does require focus and some logic. And remember, Rome was not built in a day. :p :)

6. JRWalker

JRWalker

You are going to have to put in the time coding in order to be a good programmer. You have to have an understand of the different syntax styles, variable declaration, and logic.
    PHP is an excellent server side scripting language, and once you understand how it works, you can really do some neat things with it. Also you need to really understand database structure and normalization to create functional tables that can be queried to gather the information that your website displays. For a virtual server I use XAMPP(personal) and WAMP(work), both work well. Another good source of reference is php.net.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice