Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i need to link an e-mail account to outlook express 2000

936 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  posterart 
#1 ·
hi,

i have been going nuts over this, and i am sure that it is a very simple process, but i need to have my outlook express on my work computer be active in accessing my e-mail address from work. can anyone help?

#3 ·
are you ready for a mess? LOL...

actually, i have just started with a company and many projects have been passed onto me, including updating the '@posterartngraphics.com' mail server to add me in. i spoke with the administrator of our website earlier today, and he updated the system to give me an e-mail address (which i can easily access through the server), but i want to add this new e-mail account to outlook express 2000 so that when i open outlook, it automatically accesses my new e-mail address that i received today.

outlook currently already accesses one of the e-mail addresses from the '@posterartngraphics.com' server, but i want it to access mine as well. i expected it to be fairly simple to just add another e-mail account into outlook 2000...but i am stuck.

#4 ·
There's the problem, posterboy..er...posterart. LOL!!

You're saying Outlook Express, but I think you're meaning Outlook.

YES, I can help!

First, I have NO IDEA how to add a mailbox to the exchange server. Sorry. Try www.slipstick.com, but I have a feeling that if you're allowed into the software, you'll probably find it fairly simple to set up.

To pick up mail at your pc.....

With Outlook closed.
Go to control panel, Mail (or mail & fax).
Set up a profile for yourself.
You'll need:

the name used for you on the exchange server (probably just your first name and last name--if you're not sure, go look at the other profile or someone else's--it's not a big deal)

the name of the exchange server (usually a friendly little name like EXCHSRVR--check the account that's already set up to get the exchange server name--I'm sure you'll use the same one)

That should be about it.

Now, if--when you open Outlook--it auto-gets that other profile's account, then you need to go to Tools-Options somewhere in there (sorry--not on an exchange server anymore!) and find where it says "use this account" blahdeblah or "prompt for profile". You want prompt for profile until you work things out.

Now. Pick which account you'll be using most of the time. Got it?
Ok. Go into Outlook logged in under the OTHER profile--the one that you didn't pick. Go to Tools-Options. I forget which tab again. Somewhere in there, you can set up a Delegate (this is NOT the same as Permissions). Set your MAIN profile name up as a delegate for your lesser-used profile name. Give ALL permissions if there are options.

Now, get out of Outlook.
Go back in under your MAIN profile name.
Go to Tools-Services.
Somewhere in there, you can pick to "open another user's mailbox". Guess who you're gonna pick? Yep--your non-main profile.

One drawback. If you are logged in as the main account, you can email from your secondary account, BUT it will go out as (in the from box): YourMainAccount sending on behalf of YourSecondAccount. Got it?

Now...you could prolly forward all your secondary acct mail automatically if you're doing the exch server administratoring...LOL!

Buddy, if you can make out all of that, you get a huge STAR!!! And a standing ovation from me.

:)

Wow. Sometimes you can forget how well you knew something. And to think--I haven't been on an exchange server in almost a year!

#6 ·
hey dreamboat,

thanks! you've been a big help! now how do i have my outlook utilize an external e-mail (for example, if i want it to be 'connected' to my hotmail address). right now, my outlook is not connected to ANY e-mail service.

thanks in advance!

posterart

#7 ·
As long as you are on an exchange server, you are SOL.

You collect mail, generally, but you cannot send from it...
An exchange server doesn't allow "proxy" to my knowledge.
Obviously, or all the techno-geeks at the company would be sending out spam mail that originates at the company server and get the company in trouble....blah blah.

I don't know if you can get it to hook into Hotmail at all, frankly.

EDIT

But your Outlook IS connected to Exchange server, right? That IS an email service. But try Tools-Services and see if you can set up POP3...

#8 ·
hmmm...that's interesting. one of the other employees at this company has her outlook set to send and receive internal e-mails (through our exchange server) as well as an external e-mail provider (i think it is hotmail). she is not sure how it does it, it just works, so there must be a way, but i appreciate all of your help.

posterart

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.