1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to remove a hard drive and put it in another computer to save things, how do-

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrinceRameses, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrinceRameses

PrinceRameses Thread Starter

I do that? The computer is completely virused-out, I can do nothing with it. I need to save a bunch of stuff; I have a laptop to put the hard drive on, but I haven't a clue how to do this.. :(

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the recipeint PC is a laptop, your only choice is to buy a USB case (which will come with connector leads and power supply) and fit the "old" hard drove in there. If the "old" hard drive is a laptop type, you would buy a 2.5" case, if is't a desktop type you would buy a larger case (they come in only two sizes as far as I know).

Then it should be USB plug and play.

3. PrinceRameses

ugh, I need to buy something?

It's a pc hard-drive that's going on a lap-top.

Could (If I can) go into safe mode and save everything on a flash drive/ floppy?

4. JackDogg

JackDogg

"to save things, how do-
    I do that?"

forget the lap-top bit (n)
    depending on how many gigs (2 or 3 ??) of "stuff" you wanna back up (save), just burn to CDs (y)

or if the affected old HDD is the bootable drive, boot up and save your "stuff" to a spare HDD slaved.

then wipe the affected HDD clean, reload OS and then the rest.

and "bob's ya uncle"

:)

5. PrinceRameses

How do I wipe it? just put the disk in and re-do it right?

And could you noob it down a bit? I'm not following you. :(

6. PrinceRameses

Well, I'm going to go now, but please, post all the help you can, I'll be on tomorrow morning to check it. :)

7. PrinceRameses

eek. o.o

I have to do this later today.. I'll be on again around 3:00 pm (it's 6:45 right now;))..

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Well, since you say the old HD has viruses, and you don't want to buy anything..

Boot into Safe Mode and use a flash drive to transfer the "stuff" to your laptop.
    Make sure your laptop is fully anti-virus and spyware protected/enabled and scan everything before you copy it to your laptop.

Once that's done, you can wipe out the old HD and reinstall Windows, etc.
    Does the PC have a Restore CD or are you using a Windows XP CD?

9. JackDogg

JackDogg

a floppy ? they don't hold much data these days. BUT it all depends on how much data/files you wanna backup/save. you backup/save FIRST before you do anything else. Most important.

in the overall scheme of things, what you could do if your virus infected HDD on the PC is IDE, is to grab hold of another IDE HardDiscDrive (maybe a friend has a spare one that he is not using), shut down PC - remove power lead from wall, connect it to the slave connector on the IDE ribbon cable (set jumpers to slave position first), boot up and then in Windows Explorer copy your important data/files to the slaved HDD. Shut down PC - remove power lead from wall, then remove the slaved HDD off the cable, power on and boot from your WindowsXP installation CD to Install XP. Near the beginning of the XP install procedure, you have the opportunity to firstly, delete the current HDD partition/s >>>> which will wipe all data from the HDD including viri, THEN you create a new partition/s and format it/them in (preferably) NTFS. The install will finish giving you a new fresh viri-free HDD. THEN you can copy the saved data from the other IDE HDD back onto your previously infected HDD, by slaving it again.

that's the overall scheme of things and i am assuming your present infected HDD is IDE(not SATA), and that your OpSystem - XP - IS actually on that infected HDD.

with your infected PC HDD, Windows wont allow you to delete/format the OperatingSystem partition within Windows >>>> when windows is running. that's why its done from the WinXP Install CD - delete current partition/s, create new one/s.

that's the way i would do it, as i have 2 or 3 ide HDDs lying around. but there is probably an easier way to solve your problem.

:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice