1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to replace Explorer XP.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by axeman61, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I need to replace Explorer XP.

ExplorerXP has been my file browser of choice for 3+ years, but it's acting up now. It takes forever to start up. I'm looking into that, but if my search for an answer is fruitless, I want a free file browser that's just as good.
    Here are the features I loved in ExplorerXP:
    Mass renaming: I could trim text from, insert text into, and do find/replace on several filenames at once. There are file renamers out there that do this, but I don't do it that often to be using a program solely dedicated to that. Maybe I can change that.

Groups: You could "bookmark" a list of folders into a group that you could access as if it were the "Folders" pane of Windows. You expand the group, and click the folder you want. This is the feature I want most.

Tabbed Browsing: Like Firefox/Internet Explorer, you had just ONE window of ExplorerXP open, and could have several folders open within it. Just click the tabs to go to them.

2+ Window View: I couldn't find the right name for this. You could have 2 or more folders at the same time, but have them all take up their own section of space in the ExplorerXP window.

There's probably more that I'm blanking on right now, but those are the broad strokes. If someone has a recommendation of a file browser that at least has 2 of the features mentioned above, I'd appreciate it.

BTW: Speaking of file renaming, is there a mass renaming app out there that can detect a Creative Zen Vision: M? ExplorerXP could never see it, and I think that's because the Zen doesn't have a drive letter or something.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. stantley

stantley

I've been using xplorer2 lite for years and I love it. It has these features that your looking for:

Mass renaming
    Tabbed Browsing
    2+ Window View (Dual Pane)

This feature I think is in the paid version called "Folder Groups". But you might be able to use the "Sticky Selection" in the free version. Try the free version for a while and if it doesn't have this feature download the free trial of the paid version.

See if you can set the player to MSC Mode (Mass Storage Class). Then it should show up as one or more drive letters.

4. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

This may be a stupid question, but how do I switch to MSC mode? I can't find settings for it anywhere.

Edit: Wait, I think I may have found it... but in a bad way. The Zen Vision: M has a "Removable Disk" option where you can partition off part of the player's hard drive for USB storage and the like. I just tried that out and found that you COULD view just that particular partition in ExplorerXP.

But I was talking about my entire MP3 player. Including all the songs and videos I have now. Is there a renaming program out there that can access those songs and videos for a renaming?

5. stantley

stantley

You can get the manual for your player here: http://support.creative.com/

On page 18 of the manual it explains how to use the Zen Vision: M as a "Removable Disk".

It says to use the Creative Removal Disk Manager to change the size of the removable disk. You could probably make most of the player a removable disk, but I would first delete everything off of there.

A better idea than renaming something already on the player is to rename the file before you transfer it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice