1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to restore computer to original settings, problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by slippybippy, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slippybippy

slippybippy Thread Starter

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with Windows XP Home Edition. We have malware and viruses and I want to restore the computer to the original settings. Hitting Control and F11 at startup does nothing so I assume it has to be a manual install.
    I have 2 disks that they gave me with the computer. A disk that says "Application, Already Installed on your computer, for reinstalling Dell Media Direct 3.3 on Dell Vostro computers". The other disk is a DVD of drivers and utilities that are already on my computer. It's not explained very well on what to do. One thing says what to do to load the DVD, with tapping F12, to prepare my hard drive. Then it says to insert the installation DVD. Are they talking about the same DVD? Will this reinstall and reformat my computer. That is what I want to do. If someone can give me clearer directions, it'd be appreciated.When do I use the Application CD?

2. Morny

Morny

Hi slippybippy

The Application DVD is what you need to use once you have formatted your hard drive. The DVD with drivers and utilities is the one you need when formatting or reinstating your computer. Make sure you have the mains switched on and switch your computer off. Insert the Drivers & Utilities DVD into your D drive and switch back on. It should load most things automatically, but you may have to click YES here and there using the Enter key.

Do bear in mind you can render your computer useless if you do not know what you are doing. Having said that, if you have the installation discs, you can get it up and running.

The tapping of F2 or F1 will most likely take you into the BIOS set up. You won't be able to use your mouse here but instead you need to use your arrow + F (function) keys. Not sure what your BIOS looks like but you need to know what you are doing. You need to first make sure that your D drive is the first letter. This will ensure that when you insert disc it will read this drive first and not load Windows as per usual.

Please read this first in case you are unsure what to do

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-boot-order-xp-vista/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!