1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to retrieve my lost mail!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by 50below, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 50below

50below Thread Starter

After reading some of the problems that others are having concerning lost email, I don't feel like I'm the only one with the problem. I just didn't come across any solutions.
    About a week ago, first thing in the morning, I read and then deleted a bunch of emails. I thought I had just deleted the dozen or so emails that I read but I soon found out that I had deleted all my emails or they deleted themselves. About 130 in all, some of which I've had for over 4 years. I'm still baffled as to how it all happened. A friend of mine said that there were ways of retrieving them and sent me a couple of links to tools that were designed to do the job. One is called OE Mail Recovery and I have it on my desktop. My problem is that I'm not a computer person in the least and I don't know how to use the recoverry tool. By the way, these tools will demonstrate how to retrieve a small number of emails then I will have to spend $27.00 to get them all back. I am certainly willing to spend the money but my problem is that I need someone to explain how I use the recovery tool. Also maybe someone has had this experience before and may know of the best product for the job.
    One more thing, the mail was lost from the second identity only. The main identity wasn't affected. In trying to use the retrieval tool I saw nothing of how to direct it to the proper identity. It goes without saying that I will be indebted to any and all who can help me get my mail back. Any helpful hints or some here's how it works is what I'm looking for.
    Dale

2. 50below

50below Thread Starter

Please someone, any advice will help.

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi 50below,
    First thing I would do is check in the Store Folder to see if the dbx file is still there and just not being read by OE. Sometimes a problem will cause OE to create a new dbx for a folder which makes the old one basically invisible to the program.

To get into the Store Folder, follow these instructions.
    Open OE to the identity that is missing the messages.
    Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
    On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
    Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
    Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.
    Click on Start>Run.
    Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
    The store folder containing all the DBX files should open.
    Don't try to open the dbx's as you can cause corruption of the files.
    If there is more than one dbx with the name of the folder where the messages are missing from ( for example: both Inbox.dbx and Inbox(1).dbx) then the messages are likely there and might be recoverable. Let me know what you find.
    T.

4. 50below

50below Thread Starter

First i want to thank you for taking the time to give me a hand. I followed your instruction and kept hitting a roadblock at the last step. I would get a Message with a red X saying pretty much the following. Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\Application. You may have typed the name incorrectly in the run dialog,(I didn't) or another open program cannot find a system file. Click the start button, and then click search. Which I did with no results. I tried this a half dozen times and then tried to figure out where an open program might be but I came up empty. Until I can find an open program I don't think I'm going to get the desired results. If you have any other suggestions I'm open to them. One way or the other I do appreciate your help. Thanks

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hmm! The Store folder address should be C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\Folder with a lot of numbers and letters\Microsoft\Outlook Express. The folder with all the numbers will be different for each identity. Don't know why it should be pasting C:/Windows/ Application. Try pasting it into a Notepad first to make sure it's the correct address. You could also use Windows Explorer (Windows key+E) to go to the Store folder. Just make a note of the numbered folder in the Store Location box so you can find it easier. See the attached to be sure you're copying the right thing.
    T.

Attached Files:

6. 50below

50below Thread Starter

Sorry for such a late reply. I all but gave-up on getting my emails back. There is something blocking my progress when i try to follow any steps given to me. I feel that there is something going on with my computer that has to be fixed before I will be able to retrieve my old emails. Thank you for helping. I will get back to you once I have this thing looked at.
    Dale

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice