1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Need to Send Audio from CPU to Stereo

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Steve-x8086, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    Hmmm...
    What I want to do is to be able to send the audio via analog or digital from my computer to my 70's high power stereo as cleanly as possible. The only problem is that the CPU is 30 feet away from the stereo and there is no way to get them closer. (Pioneer, Mcintosh, Bose, PhaseLinear) 30 feet of preamp wire supresses the high frequencies.

I thought that I saw a wireless that would receive form the CPU, perhaps a network type item. My CPU is a stand alone plugged onto a FiberOptic Eithernet. I would like to add another CPU to the circut though.

Perhaps this thread should be in the Networking forum? All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve-x8086

2. flytape8490

flytape8490

Is it a reciever, or an all-in-one box?
    EDIT:If it's a reciever, get a headphone to AV cable and plug it into your laptop. Then get a wireless av transmitter that does 30 feet. plug the other end into the sterio. It's the cleanest way i know.

3. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Is it a reciever, or an all-in-one box?

Then you don't know the equipment that I named. I am talking about high quality individual components, 9+ in all.
    Reciever, preamp, 300wpcRMS amp, 250wpcRMS amp, Expander, Processer, Equalizer, Turntable, CD player, Cassette Deck and a few others. Not to mention the speakers. All equipment is from the 70's. It takes up 2 racks and weighs over 400 lbs. And, I don't have a laptop. It is a mid tower with several HDs, CD, DVD ect. Also, as I mentioned, 30 feet of wire supresses analog high frequencies.

Hope this answers your question.
    Thanks, Steve-x8086

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you can run a wire, the proper cable should get it there with minimal losses of high frequencies.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you creating live audio on the computer or do you just want to play audio files (MP3, WMA) stored on the PC?

In the first case, you could try an external USB sound output device and about a 30 foot run of USB cable. Two 5 meter runs with a USB repeater should do the trick. Here is info on one of many USB based sound output devices:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/avcards/6e4f/

Possible source of a USB repeater:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=83-10031

In the second case, you might want to consider a wired or wireless network connection to a product like one of these:

http://www.netgear.com/products/consumer/prod_multimedia_wireless_hm.php

You would then be able to choose the files from your audio equipment rack.

Hope this helps,
    --
    Chuck W.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

I would run a digital signal over there (you have to use a mono plug--not stereo) and then get a digital to analog converter. You won't lose quality by sending the signal digitally.

I connect my Receiver to my computer that way, although my Receiver has digital input so its just mono to mono plug.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

BTW--I typically refer people to this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/

when the questions get into audio/visual and away from computers as your question does. There are a lot more highely knowledgeable A/V people there because that's all the forum is for.

8. flytape8490

flytape8490

9. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. Busy, you know. Mulder, I'll check those sites. That sounds like what I want to do.

Traitor ??? WMD ??? We all know that the CIA and informant information was cloudy. Democrat or Republican. At that time, the US had just been attacked in NYC (WTC's) ! What W did when he did it was right.

Armchair quarterbacks could always have done it better. That's why they're in the armchair!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice