1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to track down my problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nar57981, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nar57981

Nar57981 Thread Starter

Whenever I try to play certain games on my computer they will just completely mess up. Whether it's simple stuff like Bejeweled 2 or games like Psyconauts and Warcraft 3. What will happen is that it will work for a little while, but then it will lock up and I have to hold down the power button on my case to turn the PC off. Also, sometimes while playing Counter Strike: Source my USB mouse (Logitech MX518) will stop working, I'm not sure if it's dieing or if it's my USB port on the motherboard.

I don't think it's my graphics card, because I've tried monitoring the temperatures (meaning every other second I would check it while trying to play Warcraft 3) and it didn't go over the threshold. I've also tried reinstalling DX 9, I've used different drivers, and it still never works.

I've also tried many times to reinstall windows (XP Home) and it never worked, so I don't think that it's just a bad windows install.

So I've narrowed it down to what could be three different things.
    1) I got a bad graphics card (since nothings wrong with the hardware of it)
    2) My HDD is failing on me
    3) I have a bad motherboard

I think that my HDD might be failing because I'm using an old IDE one from a compaq that I upgraded from.

I also think that it could be a bad motherboard, because I head someone else in a review say that they're IDE0 was dead, and I'm using IDE0 for my HDD and IDE1 for my CD drive. (the board only has one channel). One other thing about the motherboard/CPU is that in the program CPU0, it only registers that theres one CPU, instead of two (since i have a dual core processor). Last, for some reason while using USB wireless adapters it will disconnect at random times, and won't restart until I restart my computer (it says I've installed it wrong when I try to repair)

One last thing, during my last install I got lots of hangups, where my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. This sometimes happens while doing average things too, and my music will stop for a second.

Does anybody know what could be wrong with my computer?

Setup:
    Case: An old Compaq case
    CPU: Athlon X2 3800 (65w) here
    Motherboard: Biostar 6100 here
    Memory: GiEL DDR2 800mhz here
    HDD: Old 80gb 7200rpm IDE
    PSU: Hipro 400w here
    GPU: BFG 7600gt OC (they don't sell it anymore)
    I also have a case fan, and a SMC wireless B card (it goes at 11mb ><)

I don't really have the money right now to replace everything, but I can buy a new motherboard or HDD. (~$75 max)

Sorry if I don't get back to you right away. Thanks for all the help!

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Do you have your screen saver turned off and your Anti Virus and all other programs that run at start up turned off while playing games? Heat can cause a problem, could be the CPU is overheating. Have you checked for it's temp right after running a program? Run check disk if you think your HD is failing. Diagnostic program for the HD is available from the manufacturers web site. Memtest86.com has a program to test the memory.

3. Nar57981

Nar57981 Thread Starter

Sorry for taking two weeks to answer, I went on vacation and thought that I would have another day.

Anyway, while playing games I have my screen saver turned on, but never have waited long enough to let the screen saver come up. Also I don't have any anti-virus software in the background.

As far as heat goes, I don't think that it's the problem, since I've tried checking it like every five seconds while trying to play, and the problem still occurred while the CPU was at a good temperature. (below 40 degrees Celsius)

I run disk check and I had no errors, so I guess my HDD is ok for now?

As far as the memory test...I had a bunch of errors. I started it up, and then went out for a bit so it ran for like 4 hours and 30 minutes (lol). I didn't copy down any of the long lines of errors but I did write down what tests had the errors and the "badram" report at the end:

Test 3 Errors: 3
    Test 5 Errors: 10
    Test 6 Errors: 8
    Test 7 Errors: 5
    Test 8 Errors: 7

badram = 0xf62958c, 0xfffffffc, 0x00962120, 0xfffffffc, 0x14332b60, 0xfffffffc, 0x0f6e9604, 0xfffffffc, 0x39372aa8, 0xfffffffc

So...this means that my memory is messed up right? But would bad RAM make the computer randomly lag, or do any of the other problems that I had before, or could my motherboard cause some of them too.

Thanks for all the help!

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, bad memory could cause all sorts of errors like those you are seeing. But could also be caused by voltage and timing settings in the BIOS, or by the motherboard. I would go to the Geil website: http://www.geilusa.com/configurator and verify the memory compatibility with your motherboard. And test drive some other RAM if you have it available.

5. Nar57981

Nar57981 Thread Starter

Wow I didn't think that it would be something as simple as changing my RAM voltage!
    I had my voltage at 1.95 before (the lowest setting) and tried amping it up to 2.00 and then tried out Narbacular Drop and had no hang-ups at all!
    Thanks for the great advice. Btw that geilusa.com link didn't help, since it's my own system.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice