1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need to transfer data from one hard drive to another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sugknight_94, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sugknight_94

sugknight_94 Thread Starter

I have an older Pc but still works well, I am running windows xp sp2. I recently acquired a much larger hard drive than the one I am currently using, and a friend of mine mentioned changing them out, but I have no idea how to accomplish this.

I also would like to delete the information that was on the new hard drive previously, I took out my cd-rom and put the new hard drive in its place as a slave and it was recognized on startup, but I would like to have it as master with all my files and Os from my old hard drive.

2. dtpollock

dtpollock

First Name:
    Duncan
    sugknight 94

To switch all your files and your OS to your hard drive, connect them both, setting your old drive as Primary Master, and your new one as Primary Slave. Then if you can obtain a copy of Symantec Ghost, it will make the job alot easier.

Good luck, and keep us posted

Duncan Pollock
    CompTia A+ Certified
    Currently working on Network+

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot to your OS and partition and format the new drive. Then, you can use this free app (or one from your HD manufacturer's website) to clone your drive from the smaller to the larger from a boot floppy. Don't reboot after the clone, but remove your slave drive and put it in the master position.

PCI CloneMaxx

4. sugknight_94

If I use a program similiar to clone maxx or symantec ghost will I be able to my old hard drive as a slave for extra storage after the upgrade

5. ballpark570

ballpark570

yes, you will

6. ballpark570

ballpark570

I use this disc cloneing software and I swear by it for copying a hard drive with windows XP. 50 bucks..............

http://www.fssdev.com/

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to a trial version of Acronis True Image It is very simple. Just install the new drive as a slave; do not partition or format the new drive. Select to clone disk and select source and destination drives. After the clone process is complete, shutdown and switch the new drive to master. Remove the old drive and make sure you can boot with the new one. Once you have the new drive up and running, you can install your old drive as a slave. Format it and you will have more storage.

8. sugknight_94

I Have downloaded and installed symantec ghost, as the first person to lend support had said, but I haven't the slightest to use this software, should I download acronis or another program or can someone give me instructions on using symantec ghost?

9. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Remove the old hard disk and hide it somewhere

Install new hard disk and do a clean install of XP on the new hard disk

XP will partition and format the new hard disk for you.

This will reove the years of junk that we all accumulate between clan re-installs.

Once you have XP installed and all drivers and software installed. Retrieve your old hard disk and connect it as a slave device to one of the IDE channels in the new machine. Set the jumpers to either Slave or Cable Select and connect to the middle connector on the IDE cable.

Reason for removing and hiding the old hard disk is that it prevents any possibility of you partitioning and formating the wrong hard disk and possibly loosing all your data. It has been done far too many times. Reading the desparate posts by users who have just experienced the trauma and tragedy of partitioning & format the wrong hard disk is saddening. Years of data or photos wiped out in a few seconds.

It may seem a bit OTT, but for an inexperienced user, not having the hard disk with all your precious, photos, music, data etc. in the computer when you are partitioning and formating hard disks is a great deal safer than "trusting your luck and typing of drive letter" to selecting the correct drive to format.

When the hard disk with all this precious data is not installed in your computer but sitting disconnected elswhere, you cannot wipe all this data.

If you do not have the physical space for a second hard disk or a spare IDE channel for your old hard disk, look at an external USB hard disk enclosure USB 2 to IDE adaptor.

hth

Ceri

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not use ghost, however most imaging apps are similar.

1 Install app
    2 Shutdown and connect your new drive as a slave drive. Do not partition or format; just install it.
    3 Start imaging app and choose to clone disk. Select source and destination disks.
    4 Once the clone process is complete, shutdown and remove your old drive. Note it is VERY important to not restart with your old drive set to master. This will result in drive letter issues. Set the new drive as the master. Reboot and make sure you can boot from the new drive.
    5 Once you are sure you can boot from the new drive, shutdown and connect your old drive as a slave. Format it and you will have more storage.

11. kath100

kath100

Ghost instructions here
    http://ghost.radified.com/
    :)

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Me Too - Until I found out the new version has troubles cloning fat32 recovery partitions. Luckily - I kept the old 2.0 version.

Acronis True Image does more - better - and at a cheaper price.
    It's just not as simple to use for Cloning.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice