I need to use IE8 - Help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HalfwayHose

Hi,

I have an application that uses and Active-X control within IE8. It will not run on IE9 and the developer is not interested in creating an IE9 version.

I uninstalled IE9 and downloaded IE8 from Microsoft and started the install but it said, "this version is not supported in win7"

Any suggestions how I can get IE8 onto this PC?

Thanks

Hermitt43

Jim
If you uninstalled IE9 then it falls back to IE8 which is the default browser for Win7.

HalfwayHose

Er, Hermit, can't see how that can happen. After uninstalling IE9, I have **no** IExplore.exe in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explore" to launch anything.

If you know how to make IE8 happen then please explain how to do that as "falls back to IE8" is **not** happening on this Win7 installation.

HalfwayHose

Hermit, I don't see how that can help. I have since found on some MSoft websites and Blogs, IE8 will not run on win7.

Hermitt43

Jim
That's not true because I'm using IE8 on Windows 7 Ultimate right now.
In fact, IE8 is the default browser in Windows 7.

Hermitt :D(y)

peterh40

Peter
Besides running SFC /Scannow tool, goto Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features. Click on Turn Windows Features on or off and make sure Internet Explorer is enabled in the list of features.

Hermitt43

Jim
Thanks for the screenshots.
It appears that your new Netbook came with IE9 as the default browser.
You can't downgrade to IE8.

HalfwayHose

Thanks DoubleH, but 7, 8 and 9 are grayed out and 6 declared an entry-point error "AccessIsDangerous" whatever that means.

Worth a try though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online