I/O Device Error on secondary drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Looker1010

Holly
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210330173817.000000-240
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 590 Series
Hard Drives: C: 1907 GB (1712 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); G: 930 GB (659 GB Free); H: 1862 GB (1852 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, s/n M80-D7019701071
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I posted this on the Hardware forum a few days ago. Please excuse me for re-posting here, but when I got no answer on the Hardware forum, I thought maybe that was the wrong board for this question.

My primary drive is an m.2 SSD. My secondary drive is a 1 TB Western Digital Hard Drive. On the list of Hard Drives in the TSG Info report, I am talking about the "G" Drive.

This secondary drive was working fine the other day. Now my computer absolutely blocks any attempt to access the data on it. It claims an "I/O device error."

Any ideas on what I can do? Unfortunately I don't have a backup of this drive.

managed

Allan
Hardware forum was probably the best place to ask so I've deleted your first post their and moved this one to the Hardware forum.

Is the G drive an internal or external drive ?

Looker1010

Holly
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210330173817.000000-240
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 16
Hard Drives: C: 1907 GB (1712 GB Free); H: 1862 GB (1852 GB Free);
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Please note the new tsginfo readout: Both my D drive (the partition portion of my primary C drive, an SSD), and my H drive (meant to be a backup but I kept neglecting to use it) and my G drive (my secondary hard drive) are no longer listed.

All storage drives (C, D, G, H) are internal. C is an m.2 drive.

When I call up the This PC window, note the green search bar activates as shown:

thispc.jpg

Here is what happens when I did both right click -> Properties and then right click -> Open on either the D or G drive:

thispcproperties.jpg

I hope and pray my G drive is not dead. All my data was stored on it. I always avoided transferring it to my C drive and now I wonder if I'm going to spend the rest of my life regretting it.

P.S. EDIT: I notice some programs take up to 20 seconds to start when I try to start them. I wonder if this problem with the D drive is why.

managed

Allan
Post a screenshot of Disk Management please, expanded to full screen.

Did you change anything between posting the 2 techinfos ?

Looker1010

Holly
The only thing I changed was uninstalling Malwarebytes and restarting the computer.

Here is the screenshot:

dskmgmt.jpgdskmgmt.jpg

managed

Allan
Let's see if TestDisk can see the G partition on Disk #1 (as shown in your screenshot)

You can download TestDisk with this link :- https://www.cgsecurity.org/Download_and_donate.php/testdisk-7.1.win64.zip
( I prefer that 7.1 version, 7.2 is a beta release so it could have bugs).

Unzip the download into a folder then run 'testdisk_win.exe' (no installation required).

When it starts press Enter to Create (Log, default setting)
Select Disk#1 - the one that's about 1000GB (using the up/down arrow keys)
press Enter to Proceed (default)
press Enter (to select the partition table type - it should have selected the correct one automatically)
press Enter to Analyse (default)

The screen should now show the partitions on the drive, stop there and post a screenshot of that window please.

Looker1010

Holly
Let me know if this is the screenshot you're looking for.

Testdisk.jpg

EDIT: Here's the results of "Analyse Cylinder."

Testdiskanalyze.jpg

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This secondary drive was working fine the other day. Now my computer absolutely blocks any attempt to access the data on it. It claims an "I/O device error."
If there has been no previous problems with this 1TB WD spinning drive it is unusual for it to suddenly fail without warning
I suspect it may be a system problem OR a board problem

My recommendation would be to take out that 1TB drive and try it in another computer if you have one, or connect it USB - to this computer if you do NOT have another machine and see if it is then accessible.

You will have noticed that both the 100MB active partition lettered D and the G partition are shown as RAW, that I think is because the MFT on the drive cannot be read. It MAYBE a sudden unexpected drive failure but more likely I think is the mentioned system problem or board problem OR perhaps even a Windows/Microsoft driver update that has changed something.

If it is one of the above rather than a drive problem itself, then the drive should be recognised on another computer either connected internally SATA I presume or externally in a dock etc.

managed

Allan
I think it's worth going back to the state in your first TestDisk screenshot then pressing Enter to do the Quick Search, and posting a screenshot of the new window. That could let you rewrite the partition table for that drive and if successful the drive should show up properly in Explorer.

If the above doesn't help you could then try Macboatmaster's idea .

Looker1010

Holly
Here is the Quick Search. It stayed on 99% for a long time before finishing. I don't know if that means anything. I checked the previous screenshot of analyse disk and saw it was at 99%, if I'd realized it was still analyzing I would have waited.

One question, if I rewrite the partition table, won't that wipe the drive's data clean? A lot of files are only on that drive and will be gone forever.

Anyway here's the screen shot:

TestdiskQS.jpg

managed

Allan
On that screen press the down arrow key to select the 2nd partition then press P and see if it lists files, if it does you can copy them using the onscreen instructions, so save the ones you need to keep to another drive, external if you have one.

Then get back to the screenshot window and press Enter, then select 'Write' and press enter and it will try to fix the partition table and if that works the drive should work properly again. and you can access your files as normal.

Looker1010

Holly
If the first or third partition are selected, I get a short list of a few system files.

If the second partition is selected: Nothing happens. I wait for hours. I just did. It sits there ad infinitum. I'm going to leave it for the rest of the night and check it again in the morning, but I'm not optimistic. It's been several hours already.

EDIT: FINALLY got the listing of directories and files. It takes hours and hours, but I finally got it. The problem is the program moves EXTREMELY slow. Each command can take an immensely long time to finish processing.

It might take a couple of days to finish copying. Please advise on how to re-write the partition table when I'm finished, and whether I should continue posting on this thread or else start a new one.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Holly
I posted once on post 8, but for some reason you did not even acknowledge the post.
IMHO there is something wrong with the computer quite apart from the apparent drive problem on the 1TB drive lettered G.

If you look at the TSG info spec on your opening post and then compare that with the TSG spec on post 3 - you say

Please note the new tsginfo readout: Both my D drive (the partition portion of my primary C drive, an SSD), and my H drive (meant to be a backup but I kept neglecting to use it) and my G drive (my secondary hard drive) are no longer listed.
However H is shown and D was never as far as I can see shown as a lettered partition of the SDD, the main partition being lettered C
Indeed on your disk management screenshot on post 5 - D is shown as a lettered partition on Disk 1 the drive with the apparent problem
The SSD is shown with an unlettered recovery partition, a EFI partition also unlettered and the main C partition. This is what I would expect to see on the GPT partitioned OS drive.

Furthermore as you say when you open This Computer in File Explorer the green bar for loading never completes and you also mention that
P.S. EDIT: I notice some programs take up to 20 seconds to start when I try to start them. I wonder if this problem with the D drive is why.

As I mentioned in my post 8, there is a possibility that this may be NOT an actual drive problem in the drive itself, but a connection problem, a power problem, a motherboard system bus problem and indeed many other things, BUT if it is not a drive problem, then if you follow my advice and find that you can access the drive on another computer or indeed just possibly on this one, by taking it out and connecting it USB in a dock, then not only can you get your data easily secured, but you will then know that the problem is NOT the drive.

If you disconnect the power and data cables to that drive and the system still runs slow with
then you can be more or less assured that the problem is NOT the drive. At least not the drive in relation to the slow performance etc.

Finally please be assured that whilst I/O device errors can be the drive, they can often be caused by bad connections and as I mentioned that includes not only the actual SATA cables but of course the connections of the board across the whole of the circuitry and many other possibilities besides the drive itself

Looker1010

Holly
Holly
I posted once on post 8, but for some reason you did not even acknowledge the post.
IMHO there is something wrong with the computer quite apart from the apparent drive problem on the 1TB drive lettered G.
The truth, sir? I'm scared that you're right. Genuinely afraid. What if it IS the motherboard-- which was installed fresh out of the box by Micro Center less than a year ago? I don't trust my own hands enough, anymore, to install a new board myself-- I tried, and messed up two motherboards and a CPU unit. Finally I took it to Micro Center so they could install a new board, CPU and SSD themselves-- and getting it there and then home again was an ordeal I'd really rather not repeat. So I focused entirely on using Testdisk as Managed. had suggested. But now, that program is taking too long. Each command can take DAYS to finish processing. So I have to face my fears and find the source of the problem.

You know how they say, no matter how good you are, there's always someone better? I go to my friends to be reminded of how much I've learned about computers. I come here to be reminded how little that really is.

I've never heard of a "dock" as you call it, much less how to use one, or even where to get one-- I suppose I can look in Newegg, but I'll have no clue what make or model to look for.

Later tonight (it's currently 1:40 pm Eastern Daylight Time, Wednesday 5/5 as I type this), I'll dig my old computer out of my closet and try putting the "G" drive back in it. That drive was the primary master hard drive for that old computer. I've hesitated on that for trivial reasons I have to stop using as excuses. I'll report the results after I have them. The important thing is that I know that Testdisk DID find the directories and data files on the G drive; it's just taking far too long to copy them to the SSD that is the C drive for this computer.

In the meantime if you can recommend a good model of "dock" for me to look for, I'd appreciate it. I can provide a full breakdown of this rig's hardware if TSGinfo didn't provide a complete enough list.

Looker1010

Holly
UPDATE:

I decided to try simply disconnecting the G Drive.

The computer booted IMMEDIATELY when I started it back up. Several Windows programs that took minutes to load and start during the problem, began loading and starting IMMEDIATELY once again. This is with the G Drive disconnected.

TSGInfo now reads as follows:

Hard Drives: C: 1907 GB (1712 GB Free); H: 1862 GB (1852 GB Free);

And Disk Management now looks like this:

diskmgmt2.jpg

Note that the "D" Drive shown in the first Disk Management post, which was the partitioned portion of the C Drive, no longer shows as a separate drive. It's the same in "This PC."

All I need to do, I guess, is find a way to salvage the data from the G Drive. Testdisk showed that it's definitely still there. I don't know if I need new connector cables or what.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online