I/O Device Error on secondary drive

Looker1010

Holly
I suggest again that you connect to the other computer or try USB
I've asked several times-- how do I do this? (the "Try USB" part)

Sorry if I sound snippy but I can't try this step without knowing how to do it.

I'll d/l the program you suggested but probably won't get around to using it until the next weekend. The computer just goes too slow with the G drive connected so I'll probably only be able to work on it during weekends.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you connect it in the other computer and then boot that from a Linux USB - that is the Linux based OS on a USB flash pen you will not need to spend money on a usb enclosure for that drive. I have mentioned this before and you said I think that you were going to get the old system out of storage.
I cannot as I said assure you that trying it usb will work.
It is likely to succeed ONLY if the problem is NOT the drive itself, but a fault/error on something such as a cable connecting that drive to the SATA port and/or its attendant settings.

You also said that you were going to consult the suppliers of the system and whilst I opined that they may not be too prepared to do something for you - without charge - for a drive that was your OLD drive rather than of course a new one they supplied it is certainly worthwhile asking them.
They will have all the necessary equipment to set it up - the drive- and indeed to test it - and to assure you that data can be recovered if necessary etc.

If you wish to go ahead you need a powered usb connection enclosure as for that WD blue the USB power alone will not be sufficient to power the 3.5 WD Blue Drive
UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows, Linux, MacBook, PS5 PS4, Xbox, TV,Laptop: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

That is an enclosure a docking station is not an enclosure - the drive does not fit inside it but merely connects to it. Not as safe as of course the drive is not protected
Orico® USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 / 3.5 Inch SATA III HDD & SSD - Compatible with Windows Linux and Mac OS: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You can pay much more for the high quality makes such as Startech but it is not worthwhile unless you are buying it for other than this one occasion
3.5 USB 3 SATA SSD HDD Enclosure - UASP - External Drive Enclosures | United Kingdom (startech.com)

Edit
I see my colleague has suggested one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online