1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I/O Device Error. SATA2 Drive. Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Outlaw_Torn, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Outlaw_Torn

Outlaw_Torn Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Been having a recurring problem with my system regarding I/O device errors.
    Ive got Vista Home Premium and when running the computer on moderate capacity, say FM2007 (RAM intensive game) and downloading a file i usually get these errors which foul up my system and actually prevent the system from rebooting from the start menu (it hangs on the "shutting down" screen).

Im fairly sure its not a failed HDD as i have replaced it twice, my drivers and such are up do date i believe, at least the important ones like BIOS and nForce. Most people seem to have this issue with CD/DVD drives and Floppy's and i cant seem to find much help out there for a SATA2 related issue.

Its my understanding that and I/O is a lack of power supply to the device, correct?
    if this is so then is my 430W PSU sufficient for the system i have?

Core 2 Duo 6400
    2GB RAM
    8800 GTS
    80GB IDE & 320GB SATA2
    p5n32 SLI_Premium mobo.

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming. (y)

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

I/O errors are not due to lack of power. I'm guessing you have a motherboard that is has a 150MB/s cap and your SATA II drive is actually jumpered to run at 300MB/s - place the jumper on the pins that makes it run at 150MB/s. In regards to your PSU, i would suggest a new one of atleast 550W of power - the one you have now is probably not giving the juice your system really needs.

As for the I/O errors, if they still exist after doing the above, go to device manager and check for any I/O conflicts on your system, you can do this by doing the following; Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > View resources by type > Input/ouput.

If there are any conflicts, post them here (they will be designated by a yellow exclamation mark).

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maverick that is not the problem. That board is sata2.

Next post your exact specs along with links to the parts if possible; ie brand and type of ram [Note this is very important modern boards] brand and wattage of power supply, etc.

4. Outlaw_Torn

Drive is a WD3200KS. The Drive that Vista is installed on is a WD800 (IDE) with Jumper on pins indicating MAster with slave present. Wattage of PSU is a 430W and is a Thermaltake XP550NP. Ram is 2 x Corsair CM2x1024-5400c4. DVD RW is an LG GSA 4167B.

Please advise what other specs you may need?

5. Outlaw_Torn

Also,
    Not sure if its related or not but ive just viewed my "Event Viewer" in control panel and i have an inordinant amount of errors being logged regarding "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 24, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance." the slot number varies but the error is fairly consistent.

6. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Ah, my fault for need reading the specs! :)

7. Outlaw_Torn

Its all good MaverickUK, thanks for the quick reply :p

Hope you can help anyway though!! its driving me crazy...

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see one thing right off; you have high performance memory. This usually needs a higher vdimm than what your board defaults to in order to work correctly.

Next it would help if you posted your power supply. A wattage rating means next to nothing; it is the quality of the unit that matters.

Here is what I would do. Download and run memtest86 Let memtest run for at least 2-3hr and see if it generates any errors.

9. Outlaw_Torn

Thanks for the advice crjdriver,
    I have memtest and have used it extensivley, as i mentioned in my first post, this is a problem ive been struggleing with for some time. Memtest goes thru 5 straight runs with no errors everytime ive used it.

As for the PSU, not sure what else you'd like to know bout it. Its a Thermaltake brand and is a model XP 550 NP.

Ive found this review of sorts that has some diagnostic info on the PSU i have if its any help?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/thermaltake-psu-roundup_18.html

10. Outlaw_Torn

Just had another I/O Error.

Again, was playing Medieval 2 and downloading a file, M2 shat itself and died on me and i cannot access my SATA2 drive's folder system says
    "F:/ Vids is not accessable due to an I/O device error"

Ive gone into system info and checked the I/O status there and everything is reading "OK" however in the event viewer there were three error's around the time of the crash.

2 were the same, with details describing:
    "The description for Event ID 0 from source cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

7"

and the third was the application error that caused M2 to die:
    "Faulting application medieval2.exe, version 1.1.0.0, time stamp 0x457554b9, faulting module MSS32.DLL, version 6.6.7.0, time stamp 0x429fa337, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000412e6, process id 0x15b8, application start time 0x01c7c36467af509c."

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That reviewer said that it is pretty low quality pw supply. From what I can see it has 18amp on a single 12V rail; pretty low for your system. Really low if you have any kind of high end video card like a 1900 ati or 7900 nvidia or something similar.

Since you have an asus board, install the latest ver of asus probe and check your system voltages under a moderate load ie gaming, etc. Post the system voltages here.

12. Outlaw_Torn

Ok, not sure if ive done this right but here's a screen cpature of the Probe side bar while im running Football Manager 2007. Not a very graphics intensive game at all but it uses lots of RAM (ie, Probe says 63% atm) so:

[​IMG]

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your voltages look fine. Since this only happens when you download a file, I am going to guess that it may be some incompatibility with the app you use to download or with the broadband modem itself.

Post a hijack log and we can have a security person take a look at it.

You are not using something like bittorrent or bitcomet are you?

14. Outlaw_Torn

Sigh,

Look ive read the rules regarding this forum and have abided by them and if this results in a ban then ok. But yes, the error mostly, tho not exclusivley happens when running a program along with a bittorrent client.

I had hoped that the issue could be resolved without having to bring up this detail that violates your forum rules.

I can understand the stance this community takes against such programs and have no problem with it. My choices are my responsibility and if you choose not to help me further knowing that i have used these programs then so be it. However, i'd be very grateful to know what it is about these programs that could cause such drastic HDD failures because i never had these problems before i upgraded to Vista.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you will not be banned however we cannot help with P2P type apps. This thread is closed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice