1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I/O device errors when unzipping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mexicangangsta, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mexicangangsta

mexicangangsta Thread Starter

Hello guys i was having this problem for 2 weeks now and i've been googling different errors and i think i came up with whats ailing my laptop, I just wanna have a 2nd opinion.

Okay so basically i have a toshiba satellite a305 with factory hardware. Now it had vista before and it stopped working. It just froze one time and decided to not respond to any input (mouse/keyboard, nothing). I tried restarting many times but it did not work. Since i didnt have anything i would of regret to do without i reformatted the drive and did a clean install of windows xp.

To make long story short i reformatted like 3 times now installed a OS and it works fine like brand new until i install 10GB or more onto the C: drive. Then i try unzipping 1 program only to get break errors due to I/O device error.

I been reading about I/O device errors and so far i've got that its basically an error that the computer cant read the data of the drive. Oh i should mention i did a memtest to test the ram of this pc and it came out with no erros. Just now it occurred to me to do a disk check, so i did a I did a diskcheck on this pc and i got error just 2% into it.

Could the mobo be broken or the CPU? Or is it pretty safe to assume its just a faulty harddrive??

2. olryst

olryst

When you formatted the harddrive did you do full or quick format?

3. mexicangangsta

i tried full twice but it stuck on 40% and never moved up an inch. I did quick reformat.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How big is C ? Is it the only partition on the drive ?

5. mexicangangsta

The harddrive is 235GB and yes its the only partition

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you haven't already try deleting then creating the partition at the start of the install, then format it.

It's a long shot but Vista partitions aren't quite the same as XP ones.so this might help.

Otherwise if you know the make of the hard drive try the maker's website for a disk testing program and run it, most offer these and they can run from a floppy or CD even if Windows isn't installed.

7. mexicangangsta

ah well i used the command prompt and used chkdsk and it gave me the error. After this last hiccup i deleted the partition and did a clean install of 7 i got from a friend. Now my only worry is its not just the harddrive thats broken. Can i safely assume that the error its only from the harddrive?? from the previous signs (disk i/o error, unresponsive when trying to extract files/open some programs, sometimes winrar errors).

Again thanks for the answers guys.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice