1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I/O Errors SATA2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Enslaver, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Enslaver

Enslaver Thread Starter

Hi, a google search of my problem brought me to this forum, a guy using similar hardware had the same errors as me but the thread was closed. I am having major problems with slowdown's and errors and data corruption. My main user's profile even got corrupted so i had to make another user in windows vista. The only application i have installed is world of warcraft and its a fresh windows vista install. The problems occur with many file copies, simple operations of the OS and randomly.

Vista will lock up for 2-3 mins and not let me respond, then its fine again.

here's my specs:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Motherboard
    AMD 64 X2 6000+ CPU
    Geforce 8800 GTX pci-e 16x Video card
    Thermaltake 550W Power supply
    Corsair 2x1024 Dual-Channel DDR800 memory
    WD500gb HD primary
    WD320gb HD secondary

The IO errors and slowdowns occur on each drive, I know its not the drives since my linux live CD can read/write to them just fine.

Please help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Enslaver

Enslaver Thread Starter

When i built the computer about two weeks ago i ran the memtest x86 for about 1 hour and it found no errors.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd do the tests again and run it for several hours. I'd also check the ASUS for BIOS updates and the NVIDIA site for NForce chipset driver updates.

5. Enslaver

Enslaver Thread Starter

Sure thing! Thanks, I'll let you know how the tests turn out.

6. Enslaver

Enslaver Thread Starter

I got everything working, to help out others here is what i did. First i ran a complete chkdsk with bad sector checking, took a few hours but it found 5 bad clusters in 5 files. Fixed them, after that i updated my SATA drivers using windows update, that seemed to fix the profile corruption but i was still experiencing temporary lockups.

I then learned that the M2N32-SLI motherboard has a defect where the first two memory slots a1 & b1 are inconsistent, memtest x86 found no errors but there was definitely a problem. I switched my memory to slots a2 & b2 and have been running 100% smooth ever since.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice