1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I/O Magic External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ditzione, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ditzione

ditzione Thread Starter

I have a problem with my computer and a technician is scheduled to come for a home visit. It was suggested to copy my files-so dh bought me a 320 GB hard drive and I can't figure out how to save the other drives to it?

I tried to copy and paste the drives into each other and it came up...

"cannot copy hiberfil: It is being used by another person or program, close any programs that might be using file and try again"

Can you help?

ditzione

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Are you trying to copy the WHOLE drive? You can't copy the system files while the operating system is in use. You'll need a cloning utility like Acronis to do that, since those utilities work outside the operating system.

I think what they're asking you to do is save what you want to keep--files, music, etc...
    If you want to save the entire drive, it needs to be cloned.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. bigbear

bigbear

Have you formatted the drive?

5. ditzione

ditzione Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips. The external hard drive I bought is I/O Magic Gigabank 320. I loaded the software that accompanied the drive (of course there are no paper manuals to anything these daze)--which I hate. The help part of the software is very flimsy and the I/O website is a joke for support too--at least to someone like me (nothing helpful in FAQ's, no product manual for this device, etc). I will look into the 'cloning' thing.

I tried to create a new removable vault and when it comes to selecting a drive for new removable the I/O Magic "L drive" does not show in the drop down options. I'll try to look at it again thinking about the advice you all gave. My tolerance level for figuring this out is low right now.

Worst case scenario--Circuit City says to bring the tower in and the newly purchased external and they will load it for $30 and teach me how to do it. This is looking pretty good to me.

I'm going to stay posted to this site-maybe I'll learn some things!

6. bigbear

bigbear

Has the drive been formatted? you cant use the drive untill it has.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice