1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I only have wifi available at my apartment. will using a wifi to ethernet adaptor help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tyler Olsen, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tyler Olsen

Tyler Olsen Thread Starter

Hey so at my apartment complex all I have is wifi available, there seems to be a ethernet port on the wall downstairs but I dont think it works. I was thinking of getting a Wifi to Ethernet adapter but I do not know if that actually will make it so my connection is stable and doesnt get affected by people streaming etc. I notice that it says it would pick up wifi and then I could use my ethernet to connect it to my computer. I don't really understand how all this works. I would like some help figuring out what to do. I can always try that port. or is there something I can plug into that port that would give me a stable connection? I'm running out of ideas. Anything helps. Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can do that with some devices
    BUT I do not think it will make any difference to your issues , as its still using the wireless signal

it will get affected by people streaming

in the LAN connection , have you tried plugging a cable into a laptop ?

3. Tyler Olsen

I just went to try it, and it turns out it is just a phone line outlet. How well would a signal boosting device work?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Tyler, and welcome to TSG.

Are you trying to connect a laptop computer, desktop computer, gaming console, smart TV, or some other kind of device?

If it is a laptop without built-in WiFi or a desktop computer, you may wish to look into a USB based WiFi adapter. An adapter with a large, movable antenna (as compared to one with a tiny antenna inside the adapter housing) might give you a good connection.

5. Tyler Olsen

I currently use a laptop that can connect wirelessly but since the entire complex shares wifi, and the internet company said they can't give me internet because they have satellite through another company that is using a single cable instead of two which they need. So I guess I just want to find a way to enhance or hardline in my connection to which it is stable enough to game on and not lose sanity here at college. Anything is better than paying by myself for an active phone line through the original company AND pay for the net as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if the wireless signal is unstable - then there is no way to resolve that, other than fixing the wireless signal at source
    are other tenants complaining and having the same issue ?

7. Tyler Olsen

It's only unstable during all the day hours and into mid to late evening, so I mean I have no problems with it past 11 pm but I need to sleep as well. but if its just the wireless problem at the source and if the landlord doesnt want to change anything then I'm just stuck with it or will have to game elsewhere. You guys helped me identify the problem, so thank you!

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the issue is because everyone is using it , and the facility is not sufficient to support the needs of the tenants.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice