1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I permitted access to a remote computer, it said it was Norton...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by marie500, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Hi again.
    Would Norton ever try to conect remotely to my computer?
    About a week ago I was doing about six things on the computer and also was getting yelled at by my daughter. In the middle of that scene, a Norton Internet Security Alert popped up saying that a remote computer was trying to access my computer and it identified the application as Norton something.

I don't remember if the NIS alert screen had four options (Automatically Configure, Permit, Block, Customize) - having four options is good because the "Automatically Configure" means Norton recognizes the application. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT AT THE TIME. If it shows only three options (everything but "Automatically Configure") it means it doesn't recognize it and I guess that's not so good. See here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...rch_other.html&sone=nis_2002_tasks.html&tpre=

I just can't rememember if there were three or four selections, because I didn't have that information at the time. All I saw was "Norton" and so I checked "Permit." Of course when things settled down, I realized I had probably made a big mistake. I did scans with Tds3 and The Cleaner, and they said nothing was found. But since I let it in, would they have found it? If you allow something, does it somehow become NOT a trojan?

Also, I've been to the Norton Knowledge Base trying to see if they ever connect remotely to me. But I couldn't find anything. I guess I thought it was Live Update doing something, but now realize that it has never asked me before.

Yesterday I found a Norton Knowledge Base page that described trojans and some relation to Norton and asking for permission via NIS alert. I tried to find it again but I don't know what search terms I used and I just can't find it and am getting frustrated. It listed a ton of trojans and how to remove them. But I don't know what I might have. When I was reading it yesterday, it seemed like the only way to find out f I had one was to go into the Registry and look for each one separately - that can't be right.

There are no new entries on the Internet Access Control list, but I don't know if that means anything. I don't know what else to do, since scans are clean.

So, here I am again.
    I will keep looking for that page so I can give you a link.
    But I'm frustrated by how difficult the Knowledge Base is to navigate.
    Thanks for any help.

2. $teve

$teve

hi marie.....although ive never used NPF i think it was probably auto update,specially if youve scannned for trojans i dont see how any would get past tds AND the cleaner.and yes,its still a trojan even if you let it in.....your scanners would jump on it.
    someone else will no doubt be here shortly with more experience with norton but i thought i would step in and offer my thoughts.
    take care;)

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

$teve, I always like to hear nice reassurances like that. I am so angry at myself because I am careful. I have all the software protection, I update, I read this forum religiously and follow all the tips and suggestions it gives.

The Auto Update is what? That's not Live Update? because Live Update just does it's thing, gets the virus updates by itself, it does it automatically. This was a remote computer trying to access me, and I said okay.

Thanks for talking - I like to hear the good stuff.

4. $teve

$teve

could`ve been the PROGRAM updater perhaps.

and we all have the same laspes in concentration at times.....wre are allowed this;)

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Marie
    It was probably Norton's Auto Update and by using the permit key you allowed access that time but will be excluded until permit for any future occurrences. Both Out and In connections are monitored by NPF and you may have configured the outgoing already. As far as having only half of equation is not normal and would draw suspicion but again it is possible if you only configured one half.

Items you can do to reassure yourself:
    1) Run a full scan with The Cleaner
    2) Run a full scan with Norton AV
    3) Run a free Online scan at housecalls. Click Here
    4) Enter Norton firewall and remove all current permit configurations so they are re-prompted when used. Also check trusted sites listing for entries.

If items 1 through 3 come back clean then you should be OK but do the work in NPF just to be safe.

Dave

PS: Please be careful when acting on warnings. Some crafty attacks can look real authentic.

6. TOGG

TOGG

marie 500,

I updated to NAV 2003 a few months ago (I had 2000 before) and 2003 will definitely try to update itself automatically any time you are online unless you prevent it by using the Options menu.

I don't allow it because I like the illusion of being in control of this machine (and not Bill G!). I collect virus definitions daily, if they're available, and use live update at least once a week.

7. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

The Trend Micro scan said nothing is found. They scanned ~38,000 files out of ~70,000. You guys say Norton enjoys updating itself, etc., but wouldn't that be my Norton trying to get out, not some Big Brother Norton identifying my computer and trying to get in?

About disabling everything in the firewall Internet access. I'm not the only User and it wouldn't necessarily be me getting the NIS screens about granting access and how to configure it. My family really, really, REALLY doesn't care, they'd click anything, they'd allow all the things I've disallowed, and they'll complain. There are no new or suspicious entries there, so is it really necessary? My totally disinterested family will be the ones making the decisions.

I searched for applications created or modified lately and didn't see anything that raised my hackles. But there were no Norton entries - ??!! There is something called uneng.exe that is in Windows. It has no Version tab but it has old Created dates, like March 2002, so it's not new. There's something called GPInstall, which looks like it hasn't been opened yet - it shows the setup icon - I looked it up, it's a freeware Installer (don't know what that is) and I didn't do it. A friend did a reformat and reinstall last spring and the date on that is last spring. Don't know why it's on the list.

If it was truly a Norton Updater thing, wouldn't it show up as being Created or Modified?

I'm sorry to be such a windbag!

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi marie- Could you possibly have been using the Automated Troubleshooter, which does ask permission, to scan the computer....it looks for any Norton products, then assists you with problems....you would have had to click on the button to use it, though.

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Marie
    At this point I would not worry to much about the mistake since all your checking has produced no evidence of any problems.
    The uneng.exe I recognize as an Adaptec now Roxio file for EZ Creator 4. Did not fire-up my other machine to verify same but here is an article that states it.
    Click Here for Article.

Dave

10. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Byteman,
    I don't know what the Automated Updater is, never used it or seen it. I guess I can hope that it just activated itself - I still think computers have their own agenda.
    Davey,
    I do have EZ CD, thanks for finding that. I guess this turned out okay....

...although now I have to start another thread about a totally different question. I poked around too much in the Event Log and found somehing. It never ends, does it?

11. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

marie-----It's not an "Updater" the feature I referred to is a tool that senses a Norton product....it is only available when you go to the Symantec website, and need help with one of their products, like Norton Antivirus. You would have had to click on main category "Support" then, support for home pcs...., then, start online support, then on and have the automated troublshooting thing scan for your installed Norton software...which it then can help you with. This last page is below: though, as davey and others have said, you may not have any problems at all. Was just wondering if somehow you connected with that "permission" box, and that is what you were wondering about above.
    It's a pretty neat feature....but, it may not work for older versions of Norton stuff. You could run through it and see if there are any issues with your software.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/asa_index.html

12. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I'm going to go and do that right now.

13. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I just reread my thread title and info and I want to clarify - A remote computer wanted access to my computer. And it was granted. This wasn't my computer asking to access the internet to do something. It said the remote computer application that was requesting access to my computer was Norton [something].

I'm not sure that I made that clear, sorry.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice