I-Pod vs. CD-RW?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Davidov541

I have recently recieved an I-Pod for christmas, and everything has worked fine in installing it until now. Now it is not even recognizing my second CD drive... autorun isn't working, i can't open anything through My Computer, and the system information isn't even aknowledging there is a CD drive unless my I-Pod is attached, and then the I-Pod takes the drive letter of my CD-RW drive. What do i need to do to correct this?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Disconnect the I-Pod.

Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. See if the CD-RW is listed, if so right click on the left hand side of the graphical display and select Change Drive letter. Set that and see if the I-Pod stops stepping on it.

Davidov541

It is not even showing up in the Computer Management screen... there are two blank drives that both use FAT and FAT32 file systems (i have a cd in both drives right now), my hard drive and then the main CD drive that was working anyways.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Are you sure the FAT isn't the I-Pod? Are you saying you have three CD drives?

Davidov541

nope, a separate drive comes up when i plug in my ipod... the two drives have 63 MB and 3.49 GB with 87% and 26% memory left on them respectively. I-Pod does come up and say it has a FAT32 file allocation system, the same as the 3.49 GB drive, but the I-Pod has it's own area, so it can't be the I-Pod. And no i do not have 3 CD drives, only two.

Davidov541

Can any one else help with this problem? i can't get any good answers from Apple, and you guys are my last hope!!! I did notice one thing that may help, when i restart my computer, MS-DOS tells me that it cannot find a drive (I'm assuming this is the one i'm looking for) and asks if i want to go into the set-up. When i do, it isn't under the CD drives, only the normal CD drive. Does that help at all?

I think you need to at least consider that the "missing" CD drive may have died.
If the BIOS cannot find it and you are getting a message to that extent, it tends to rule out a WIndows problem.

Unless the BIOS can recognise it, Windows isunlikely to do so.

You have by now checked that all cables inside the PC are secure and plugged into both the "missing" drive and the motherboard?

The iPod connection may be a red herring, or the physical action of plugging it in may have disturbed an internal cable connection to the drive.

Davidov541

OK, thanks alot... i'm going to look at that in the morning, i'll give you an update when i get a chance...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online