1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I *Really* messed up a new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JameyKaye, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JameyKaye

JameyKaye Thread Starter

I feel like Princess Leia, crying out, "Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope!" We bought our son this computer (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=G153-GM5045E) for Christmas. We realized it didn't have a built in wireless networking card, but as this was replacing an old computer, we figured we could just pop the old one into the new tower.

When I put the network card into the tower, it didn't work, I was unable to load the driver from the CD that came with it. So, my husband and I decided to also add the old 160G second hard drive while I was in there. I asked if it needed something done to be slaved, hubby said it was the slave on the old one, not to worry about it.

OK, so I just follow his directions, pop the additional drive in the tower, connect the connectors onto the pins, plug everything up ...

No hard drive detected. Took the extra drive back out, hubby read the sticker on it ... and it was configured as a master. The computer won't boot up now. The original hard drive is in it's place, still and the boot screen says there is no hard drive. The 30 warranty has expired, and I doubt Gateway would look to kindly on my meddling, anyway.

Is this fixable? Please, shine some brilliance my way, I am tired of crying. :(

2. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Set both drives to Cable Select. Should fix the problem. Let us know how it works.

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Try and get into Bios by tapping F2 or DEL key or if you know what key it is on startup of the PC.

Look in a setting for Boot order and see if the Hard drive is set first in order. If not set it first in order and click Save and Exit.....then restart the PC.

If that does not work then you can try resetting the Cmos (battery) by using the jumpers on the motherboard or taking the Cmos battery out for about 10min and then replacing it and restarting the PC.

The Cmos battery sometimes looks like a big watch battery on the motherboard.

4. JameyKaye

JameyKaye Thread Starter

:eek: I set both hard drives to cable select, rebooted: No hard disk found, Press any key to continue. I checked the BIOS for hard disk to boot first. Still get the same error. How hard is it to take that battery out of the motherboard? Is it worth a try? :(

5. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

If you can get into the bios just set it to defaults from in there. No need to pull the battery or clear cmos jumper. I think you might have a bit of luck just setting bios to default unless something else has happened. Let us know anyway.

6. JameyKaye

JameyKaye Thread Starter

I set the BIOS to default. Still getting: No hard disk found. :( :(

7. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Ok well i know this sounds obvious but you have to check connections. Keep other drive out for now and check hd power cable and the sata cable( i think it will be sata if it's new) but if it is ide,check ide ribbon cable make sure it's the right way round. Also is the hd jumper back to master?

8. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Did you say you're getting into bios? If so is the hard drive listed there on first page?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!