1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I really messed up...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by proudaunt, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. proudaunt

proudaunt Thread Starter

I think I really messed things up and I don't know how to fix it. I logged into my computer and was notified there were 2 HP updates to perform, so I installed them. While doing so, I received a message that the installation could not continue because of a program that was running (COM Surrogate). So I went into Task Manager and ended the process. Once the installation was complate, I rebooted. Several of my full screen games would not run. I thought it had to do with the updates (one of which was to my video card), so I did a System Restore to undo the updates. This did not fix the problem. I then went into Task Manager and found that the COM Surrogate was still not running. I located the appropriate file (I think at least. It was the dllhost.exe file in the Windows/System 32 folder), and double-clicked it to run it. It briefly appeared in the list of processes in Task Manager, but disappeared after a few seconds. This continued to happen after several attempts. I now think the reason my full screen games will not play is because the COM Surrogate is not running. Does anyone know a way I could fix this? I probably should not have ended the process to begin with, but I assumed it would just start again on its own after a reboot.

I'm running Vista on an HP computer Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8200 at 2.66GhZ, with 4GB of RAM.

2. Hughv

Hughv

3. proudaunt

proudaunt Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but still nothing. My problem is not that it's not working, but that it's not running. I can't get it to run. I double-click the file and it briefly appears in Task Manager, but then disappears after a few seconds. I'm getting desperate, many of my games no longer work. This is a brand new PC, I hope I didn't ruin it already. Please, does anyone know how to fix it?

4. proudaunt

proudaunt Thread Starter

Just bumping this up the list to see if anyone has a solution. I'm beyond desperate now. I have this brand new computer that I can't play any of my downloaded full-screen games on.

5. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

Do you need to download another .dll file?

6. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

7. proudaunt

proudaunt Thread Starter

Thanks, but I'm not getting the "COM Surrogate has stopped working error". My problem is that I can't get it to start, it won't appear in my Task Manager for more than 2 seconds before it disappears.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice