1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Really Need Help. Only Lights Flash Now

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coreyjames66, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coreyjames66

coreyjames66 Thread Starter

Specs

e-machines T3418
    Nvidia 6100 Graphics onboard
    1 GB Memory PC3200
    Windows XP/SP2
    200 GB Harddrive
    AMD Sempron 3400+ Processor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It just quit working. I changed the bios settings for the graphics (I disabled the frame buffer) and now when I try to start it, the DVD/CD drive blinks a couple of times, then the HDD blinks a couple of times. It just keeps repeating that sequence. I can't get anything to appear on the screen at all. The DVD/CD drive won't open unless I stick a paper clip in it to force it open. It doesn't recognize anything as being in it when I put a recovery CD in. The motherboard isn't beeping, but it will when I remove the RAM.

I don't know what to do. I'm unbelievably depressed right now. The computer I'm using now is old as dirt and I can't depend on it.

Does anyone have any clue how I might resolve this? Is it fried?

Thanks in advance.

Corey

Any ideas?

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

That's not old, I was working on an AST 80486 earlier today. Anyway, is there any way for you to get into the BIOS now?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you changed some settings in the bios, just clear cmos with the clear jumper. This will return the bios to the default settings. Note after you clear cmos, enter the bios and load defaults; save settings and exit.

4. coreyjames66

I can't figure out how to clear it. The motherboard is a First International Computer board and their site is non-functional. I checked out e-machines site and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know what jumper I'm looking for? I don't want to make things worse.

Ummmm....well, as if they could get worse. :eek:

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The jumper should be near the cmos battery; looks like a large watch battery. It will have a jumper over two of three pins.

Note you can also pull the cmos battery to clear cmos. To use either one correctly, pull the pw cord from the machine. Now push the on button 2-3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply caps. Now clear cmos with the jumper or pull the battery. If you pull the battery, leave it out for a min of 30min; using the jumper you just need to short pins 2&3 for 15-30 seconds. Replace jumper to pins 1-2.

6. coreyjames66

Well, I learned something new today. I feel like a bit of a dummy not knowing this stuff.

It's working now thanks to you all. THANK YOU!!! :D

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice