1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I really need help with my Dell Latitude...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doomsayer, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Thread Starter

Ok, so here's the problem.

I have a Dell Latitude CPx J65OGT BIOS Revision A08.
    I also have the Windows XP Pro Reinstallation CD with Service Pack 2.

The original problem was upon bootup the computer gave a STOP error:
    ***STOP:0x000000A5 (0x00000002, 0x81BD9810, 0xE104B780, 0x81BB0AD8)

I tried booting from the Reinstallation CD and this is what happens:

At Windows Setup it gives me -:partition [Unknown] 9856MB(9585MB Free)

It gives me the following options, and I have provided the information on what happens when I try each of them:

Create Partition, C - Nothing Happens

Enter, Run Setup - An error has occured while Setup was updating partition information on: 9586 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR] Setup cannot continue. (Then the computer restarts)

Delete Partition, D - The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS of the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

Recovery Console does not work either.

What I gather from this is that the partition is not assigned a prompt (For example, C:) and I cannot figure out how to give it one.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. bbearren

bbearren

Sounds like your motherboard or your hard drive has malfunctioned.

If you have the Dell Diagnostics CD boot from that and run all tests.

3. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Thread Starter

I do not have that CD. Is there any way to assign a prompt to the current partition?

4. bbearren

bbearren

How old is this Latitude, and did it have Windows XP SP2 installed and running on it before you got the bluescreen?

5. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Thread Starter

The Latitude was made in 1999, and it had Windows XP Professional installed on it, but not Service Pack 2. One day, it just decided to go out.

6. bbearren

bbearren

Visit the Dell Support Site and enter your Service Tag. You may be able to update your BIOS, but it sounds like your motherboard is gone.

7. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Thread Starter

Ok. How can I update the BIOS by downloading the update from a different computer?

8. bbearren

bbearren

There are instructions.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice