1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I really want to end this

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MaximON, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaximON

MaximON Thread Starter

I seriously need someones help, im getting really annoyed and angry. You see i have experienced the stop error or blue screen of death as someone call it and a windows reinstall always solved it. But it keeps coming again and again. Maybe i have messed up something. Here is what happens now. The PC was working fine in the morning and when i turned it on in the evening it froze on the windows loading screen with the windows logo and the little blue thing moving on the right in the bar. I tried everything safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command, normal startup, restore to previous ..... it kept freezing or rebooting. I than tried to reinstall windows. I booted from cd and the files started loading normally but just before the installation started the stop error appeared. I tried several times all i was getting was a frozen PC or blue screen. I then thought that it was a hardware problem. But sometimes 1 in 100 safe mode worked and i got it working once and started system restore i restored it to the earliest check point. Now the situation is different the Blue screen is gone. Safe Mode works every time perfectly but Normal startup has few problems when i get to the point to choose a User the mouse stops working its still glowing and all but not working after that everything is normal except it freezes after few minutes working i restarted it few times the mouse works but freezes every time when i need to choose user so i must use keyboard until the PC freezes. I noticed that safe mode with networking reacts the same as normal start up while safe mode works perfectly why is that? At the moment i dont have the Windows cd is there any way to solve this its clear that its a Software problem. Please read the whole story.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi blue screens can be caused by many things - faulty drivers etc.
    Check>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device manager.
    Any yellow exclamation marks?

Check Event Viewer.
    Start>run>type.
    eventvwr.msc

Check Event viewer report under Applications.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Next time you get a blue screen.
    From the desktop right-click on My Computer.
    Click the Properties option.
    In the System Properties window
    Click the Advanced tab.
    In Advanced click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    In the Startup and Recovery window uncheck the Automatically restart check box.
    Click Ok.

On restart you will then see on the screen what is causing it - make a note and then we can offer some suggestions.

3. MaximON

MaximON Thread Starter

Ok i did what you told me the RAID Controller is with a yellow question and exclamation mark. At the event viewer in applications there are many errors and warnings what am i looking for and under system there is a error with MrxSmb on the day when this started so whats the problem?

4. blues_harp28

5. MaximON

MaximON Thread Starter

I installed a game the day before it all started but i deleted it now. Will a windows reinstall fix it?

6. blues_harp28

A reinstall, as you have found will solve it.
    But if you can capture the error message - we can see if it is a Hardware - Installed software - driver problem etc.

Next time you get a blue screen.
    From the desktop right-click on My Computer.
    Click the Properties option.
    In the System Properties window
    Click the Advanced tab.
    In Advanced click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    In the Startup and Recovery window uncheck the Automatically restart check box.
    Click Ok.

On reboot you will see the error.

Types of Blue Screen errors.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750081.aspx

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1647&page=3

7. MaximON

MaximON Thread Starter

Ok these are images from the blue screens they are different not the same one all the time. The one with the BAD_POOL_HEADER is stopping the windows setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. blues_harp28

If this was my system - I'd reinstall Windows and then update all the drivers, sound.video.chipset.
    And check that the memory sticks are not faulty - as you have numerous errors.
    You say it freezes on reinstall and you no longer have the Cd?

Others here may have other suggestions.

9. MaximON

MaximON Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far this is the current situation i can boot my pc in both safe and normal mode but in normal the mouse freezes while it freezes on game in both and i HAVE the cd but it wont let me install windows. After i finish the first steps by clicking next on the cd the pc reboots and the setup should continue BUT the blue screen appears can you tell me how to do something so it will allow me to setup windows.

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Test your memory

Download the prebuilt ISO, burn it to CD as an Image (not data), boot from that CD and run the memory test for a couple of hours or overnight to stress test the memory.

http://www.memtest.org/

Sometimes re-seating memory modules can fix memory errors also.

11. GowerIT

GowerIT

This sounds like either faulty memory, a failing hard disk or perhaps a driver fault.

Test the memory first as that's the easiest like Mumbodog said.

To test the hard disk drive, you can use the hard drive manufacturers utility from Hiren's Boot CD (great CD that also has memory testing utilities on it) - http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

If it's a driver fault then hopefully you are getting a memory dump in C:\Windows\minidump. If so, could you post that dump and I can check it to see if it's driver related.

HTH

Gower IT

12. blues_harp28

A memory test is a good next move.
    If you have 2 sticks of 256Mb each - run the test on each stick.

Also if you feel able to do so.
    Turn the computer off and disconnect it from the power
    Take off the side of the case and touch the bare metal chassis to discharge static.
    Remove Ram cards from their slots

Plug in the RAM [one stick at a time].
    Restart your Pc.
    Also try different slots.
    Ensure it is seated correctly.
    You may have a faulty Ram stick.

13. MaximON

MaximON Thread Starter

I dont have a empty cd at the moment ill burn the Iage file when i get one

14. blues_harp28

Ok - keep us updated and good luck.

15. MaximON

MaximON Thread Starter

it wont allow me to start safe mode too now :S

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice