1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I run 1280x1024 res. in Windows, but cannot in games. Why?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheSatori, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheSatori

TheSatori Thread Starter

Hi, everyone :) I'm new here - just bumped into a problem I thought you could help me with...

I just upgraded my computer to the following:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2GHz)
    768MB DDR PC2100 RAM
    Asus A7N8X-E (400FSB, 1GB lan, plus more goodies)
    Creative GeForce 3 Ti200 graphics card (supports resolutions up to around 2XXX*15XX)
    Samsung SyncMaster 710T TFT monitor

After I finished installing windows, I was somewhat concerned at first of the lack of color variation - everything looked grainy and all windows 3.11-ish. My worries were quickly dispelled, however, since when I immediately set my monitor to its native resolution (1280x1024), it all looked nice and smooth (and what an excellent picture quality! I strongly recommend this monitor - it's eyecandy) and clorful. I began thinking to myself "why was I being so sceptic, after reading all those "ghost stories" about TFT monitors on the internet? :) I then decided to test my monitor's performance in games - in Freelancer and Halflife. Sure, the 3d was good, the refresh rate was like that of any good CRT monitor (even better, I stress my point again) but when I looked at something in Freelancer which was supposed to be the beautiful light spectum of the sun in space, it looked like two overlapping pieces of cloth hanging in blackness. I then checked my display settings: the game was running at 1280x960 - and it wouldn't go any higher (as opposed to the 1280x1024 I was running in windows!). I thought "well, maybe the game simply doesn't support a higher resolution" (I had never really checked), but no. When I installed halflife, a game I know has astronomical resolutions, the resolutions were also capped at 1280x960! the colors in the game weren't going along very well - everything was covered in spots n patches of lone colors, although there was 0 ghosting, and an excellent refresh rate.

Why is my resolution capped below my maximum, optimal resolution in games, and not in windows? (makes no sense to me).
    Is there a piece of software / driver / control which manages this? if so, which ones? and can I manipulate them?

I see my dream of good imaging quality on a TFT screen in games crumbling before my eyes if I cannot get this fixed...

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

what directx version are you running and make sure it is working. type dxdiag in the run box (start>run). Also check and make sure you have the latest drivers (by your cards manufacturer) for your graphics card. Also make sure in the settings that your monitor Name (model number) is selected as the monitor in display properties.

3. jakesp

jakesp

Just a note - I've got Freelancer and the max resolution is 1,280 x 960, although the colours look fine on my CRT monitor (I also have a 1,280 x 1,024 desktop).

4. TheSatori

TheSatori Thread Starter

• DirectX version: 9.0c
    • Drivers: all newest drivers downloaded (Creative's online update) and tested successfully within "dxdiag", although the green "X" logo on the spinning DirectX logo had too few colors - perhaps my resolution switches to 1280x960 automatically each time my computer runs an application in full-screen?
    • Selected monitor: SyncMaster 710T, SyncMaster Magic CX713T (Digital)

Really? I read someplaces that someone was running it in 1600x1200. Perhaps we share a problem? check out these links:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_con...A6486DF6861D308A166084BE435D835C2E9D4E1BD367A
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/15422
    thanks for the replies so far.

I don't really mind if the game runs at 1280x960 - even 800*600 - just as long as the lack of color integrity doesn't bother me.

I am also running windows XP SP2. Is that worth mentioning?

5. jakesp

jakesp

Thanks for the links - I'm running the game with a GeForce FX5700, which I would have thought would be capable of supporting Freelancer at higher resolutions than 1,280 x 960, but there isn't an option to go higher in the game.

Perhaps there's a patch that can be downloaded? I remember when I first installed the card, the game didn't recognise it and would only run at 1,024 x 768 in 16-bit colour.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

when i find spare time i'll search around and see if i come across a nice article on this issue. Most of the time i just post what i think but here i'll look into it when i get a chance if you dont find a solution.

7. TheSatori

TheSatori Thread Starter

I just discovered that the drivers I had weren't the very newest drivers... the ones I was using were the ones I used before formatting & refitting my system (a few months old). :eek:

I installed the latest NVidia drivers (Not the Creative ones, since I couldn't switch graphics output after I installed those, and the colors were still weird). That changed it so that I could select 32-bit colors in games :D The display is also not misplaced on my screen as it was with the earlier Creative drivers.

However, the maximum selectable resolution has Decreased: it now became 1152x864 :confused: and is like that for all games. I can even set it higher than the oprimal resolution in my desktop, but still this is as high as it goes in games. It looks acceptable (you can see pixels clearly if you walk up to a wall in HalfLife, though, but it's not all that bothersome) and there's no ghosting, fog or any odd display errors, but I would still like to be able to set the screen to perform at its best: 1280x1024

Any help well appreciated! Thanks for reading.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

is your /monitor/ selected as the output device in the adaptor settings? sometimes you need a driver for your /monitor/.

9. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I think it's because it is trying to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Try it in Calculator (or any other calculator):
    1280*3/4

The answer is 960.
    (Sorry for the maths lesson) :p

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

thats i think it may be your monitor settings - you want it set to what your monitor is or very similar. My monitor is a GatewayVX900 so when i go to desktop properties>settings>advanced>monitor tab, it shows my monitor because i have it selected and the proper driver installed.

11. TheSatori

TheSatori Thread Starter

Hehe, well, maybe. but why not take the next resolution beyond? I can switch to that one in my desktop (1600x1200). I can't really see any difference, perhaps it is just a bogus-resolution...

Well, my monitor shows my own monitor in my monitor's properties - Samsung SyncMaster 710T. I also have the latest divers - or rather, the only drivers. The drivers which shipped with the screen are v1.0, like the ones on Samsung's support site:

http://www.samsung.com/Support/Prod...typecode=202&model=710T&filetype=DR&language=

Could it have anything to do with the fact that I am playing my games with digital video output?

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

trial and error is good do it the other way maybe.

13. TheSatori

TheSatori Thread Starter

Nope, switching to analog didn't help.

I'm starting to fear that what techkid said is right. I took a look at which resolutions were available in halflife. they were as follows:

• 400x300 (4/3)
    • 480x360 (4/3)
    • 512x384 (4/3)
    • 640x480 (4/3)
    • 800x600 (4/3)
    • 1024x768 (4/3)
    • 1152x864 (4/3)

and that's it. Did we stumble upon an eerie fact? :p

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

well that does make sense. there is ways to cause windows to run in 16:9 (thats what your monitor isnt it) and there is also software that will change the aspect ratio of windows. its just that for display options the reason why you can select it is that windows doesn care there- i have a 4:3 monitor but i can run it in widescreen. look for things that will tell you how to make your computer run 16:9 or widescreen or whatever aspect ratio your monitor is. some graphics cards have a selector for your aspect ratio. i have an nvidia with nview and i can do some tweaking i also have its control center.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice