1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I screwed up uninstalling AVG

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Honeycat, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honeycat

Honeycat Thread Starter

I had to uninstall AVG Free Edition 7.289 from my PC and messed up.

I could not find the "uninstall" feature on the program, so I used my computer's "Add/Remove" controls. However, this did not remove ALL the AVG files from my computer. When I power up, my PC alerts me that it can't start Windows because it cannot find drivers associated with AVGTDI. VXD, AVG7CORE.VXD and AVG7RS.VXD.

I still have several components on my PC that may be associated, and I don't know whether to delete them or leave them alone. They are:

AVG&QT C:\
    AVG7DB C:\
    $VAULT$.AVG C:\
    AVG7CORE.SYS C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
    avg7rsw.sys C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
    avg7rsnt.sys C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
    avg7rsxp.sys C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
    avgtdi.sys C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
    avg6254 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    avg7inst.log C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    avg6255 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    AVGINET.LGC C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG
    AVGW.LGC C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG
    AVGCC.LGC C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG
    AVGEMC.LGC C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG
    AVGAMSVR.LGC C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG
    (folder)AVG7 C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data
    CAVGLK32 C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\HRVVTD4E
    SAVGOL.DLL C:\QUICKENW
    avg70free_289a392 C:\My Download Files

I don't want to delete ALL of these because I don't know if any are unrelated to AVG and are essential to the PC's operation.

AVG's FAQs tell you to go through AVG7 and use SETUP.EXE to delete components, but I can't figure out how to do that. Besides, I don't think I have entire "components" left to delete.

I am using a Sony F520 VAIO notebook running (yes) Windows 98.

Please let there be a solution other than reinstalling and then uninstalling, which would introduce two problems: I just installed NAV 2005 and don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall it also; and, I would still have my original problem, which is not being able to figure out where the heck on the AVG to uninstall.

I pretty much had similar problems trying to remove McAfee and you would think that I would have learned something by now.

THANK YOU.

2. polak

polak

3. Honeycat

Honeycat Thread Starter

Thus far I've posted this on two other forums and have only gotten non-serious answers.

When I previously had this problem with McAfee, I posted here and got extensive expert help & it was extremely helpful. I would still appreciate anyone's advice.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are looking for an easy way out you may just want to try installing it again and then uninstall it again. You don't have to uninstall Norton to install AVG. ADD/REMOVE in the Control Panel is the proper way to uninstall a program. You can also uninstall it from Start -> All Programs -> AVG and then there should be an Uninstall option.

If not you will need to remove the files and registry entries manually or with a third party registry cleaner. And thats not that easy and may not work that well to remove all traces of AVG - not that uninstalling a program the proper way does but enough not to break other things.

You should try uninstall Norton - there's a headache.

5. Honeycat

Honeycat Thread Starter

I did try uninstalling Norton once, and you're right. It was a real pain.

I actually did start out by using Add/Remove to get the AVG off, but then when I ran RegCleaner, it showed some elements didn't get removed. So I removed them with RegCleaner but apparently there are STILL some items left. I guess these virus programs are so hard to uninstall because they pervade so many sectors.

If I don't have to uninstall and reinstall Norton - which I have been trying since December to get installed successfully - then I may just re-install the AVG and uninstall it.

*THANKS* again.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are comfortable using the registry, back it up and search and remove all entries matching the files in the error messages. But deleting a wrong entry can cause serious problems.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice