1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I should know this, BUT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pfiltz, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

I think I'll ask our panel first ;)

I have a system running 2K prof.

C: drive was an IDE drive formatted NTFS
    E: drive is an "additional" IDE drive formatted NTFS

I removed C: drive from the system, and disconnected the ribbon data cable to E: as well.

I installed a Sata Drive and have installed Win2K prof on it. Of course, it's the Boot Drive C:

When I hook up the 2nd Drive [E:] which is IDE, will the system just look at it, and assign a drive letter to it, and not mess with the FAT table of that 2nd Drive [IDE]?

I'm pretty sure, approx 85% that I have most of the data backedup, but I would just like to hook up the 2nd drive, and not run into any nasty surprises. If need be, I could remove the sata all together, and put back into play the org C: drive to keep me running.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

2. erick295

erick295

First you said it was NTFS, then you said it had a FAT table... did you mean to say it was FAT32?

3. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Old habits... Old DOS world.. .Guy ;)

It Is NTFS. Both IDE drives where formatted in NTFS...

Sorry

4. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

Assuming your second drive is just storage and has no OS on it, you will have no problem booting from a SATA drive and having that drive installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice