1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think I am having a video card problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mikumber, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I'll check back. Let us know how it goes OK?

2. Mikumber

Mikumber Thread Starter

I uninstalled my driver, and installed the one you showed me. When I restarted my computer, and it was installing the driver, it asked me for a Nvidia disk. Then it said it couldnt find a whole bunch of files. I just skipped all the files it couldnt find and then it finished booting. But I still get the same message when I try to play the game.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Hang on, you might have to manually install them. BRB

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Go to device manager, find your video card and right click on it. Choose update driver. Navigate to the c/nvidia folder and see if you can find the proper inf file.

If it isn't in C/Nvidia, it will be in C/program files/nvidia.

If you can't find them, let the machine try to update automatically. Do you have winrar by any chance?

5. Mikumber

Mikumber Thread Starter

I dont know what winrar is. Sorry. What file am i looking for. It said it couldnt find about 30 different files.

I will try.

Thanks

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250-10007677.html?part=dl-winrar&subj=dl&tag=button

Here, go download winrar and install it. This is a trial version but it will do what we need it to do.

Make a new folder on your desktop and drag the nvidia driver file into the folder. Once you get it into the folder, right click on it and choose extract here.

That will put all the driver files in the folder on your desktop where you will know exactly where they are.

Then go to device manager and update the drivers from that folder. This is a little bit of the long way around, but it will work. Winrar is less than a megabyte so it won't take long. I can't live without winrar anymore.

7. Mikumber

Mikumber Thread Starter

Thanks did what you said but it says I am already using the best driver for this device.

8. Mikumber

Mikumber Thread Starter

What if I unstalled the driver, then reinstalled it and when it asks me for the disk, can I specify the new folder i created to get the file from?

Hope that makes sense.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes you can.

10. Mikumber

Mikumber Thread Starter

Ok I tried that, and everything seemed to install properly. But the game still give me the same message. Does it think I have the wronge version of DirectX. Because I installed DirectX 9.

Also what is Qttask. After I unstalled the driver, and before I reinstalled it said Qttask had performed and illegal operation.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That is quicktime task. It isn't needed. You can disable it in msconfig.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You know the vanta was like a directx 8 card. I think it had like 16 megs of ram on it, maybe 32. I would think it would run some direct x 9 games, maybe not well and maybe not all of them but at least some.

I am starting to think you don't have enough video ram to run them. I am almost sure mine was a 16 meg card. Hmm, we have tried everything except disabling hardware acceleration. Try right clicking on your desktop, choose properties, choose advanced, click on the 3d tab and move the slider to the left 1 mark at a time and try your game.

It will help some but I am not sure how much. Just keep going until you can play, even if it means moving it all the way to the left. You don't want to move all the way to the left but if that is what it takes.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice