1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think I deleted my FAT

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by joshua.wilbo, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshua.wilbo

joshua.wilbo Thread Starter

Computer was booting up Win98 and ran scandisk...I exited early, I believe during the check of the filesystem. Entire hard drive is reading as blank except for oen file....scandisk.log lol....Anyone able to help? This is very important as it is my friends computer and his mother is self-employed, her job depends on the info on the computer...Please help. Thanks in advance.

2. joshua.wilbo

Computer was booting up Win98 and ran scandisk...I exited early, I believe during the check of the filesystem. Entire hard drive is reading as blank except for oen file....scandisk.log lol....Anyone able to help? This is very important as it is my friends computer and his mother is self-employed, her job depends on the info on the computer...Please help. Thanks in advance.

3. Dark Mage

Dark Mage

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sounds like you killed it by being in a hurry. There was obviously a reason Windows chose to run Scandisk.

6. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Boot using a Windows 98 boot floppy disk. http://www.bootdisk.com if you don't have one.

At the a: prompt type exactly

FDISK /MBR

This command will copy the second copy of your Master Boot Record ie FAT table from the end of the hard disk and overwrite the original copy.

hth

Ceri

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

I've merged both of your threads on the same subject matter. In the future, please post only once per problem.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For the record, I ALWAYS stop SCANDISK when I'm in a hurry. I've never had it do any damage like that.

9. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

I cannot see how stopping scan disk in the middle of a scan will erase the hard drive. If someone could explain how that COULD happen I'd appreciate it for future reference.
    Something else must have been going on. Why was scan disk running at boot? That only occurs if the puter is shut down improperly. Sounds like Joshua's fat is gonna get deleted by his freinds mom when she finds out.

10. joshua.wilbo

It had been shutdown manually instead of letting windows shutdown itself...But if it was something other than scandisk, why is the only thing on the harddrive the scandisk.log? I believe it destroyed the FAT and before shutting down wrote the log, thus the only file that is read is the log...Does anyone know a GOOD FREE program that can restore a file allocation table?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice