1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think i have a virus???

Discussion in 'General Security' started by JamesJD125, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesJD125

JamesJD125 Thread Starter

Hi i think i have a virus? i have deleted all the software i think that is causing scanned uncountable ammounts of times. and restarted as much as i could. i just can't shake this virus.
    Whats going on is when i start up it's fine. is goes to the normal desktop, but instantly freezes and for about 30 seconds and then whatever you do or click when it unfreezes it the desktop disappeares leaving my background, however, it's unfrozen so i can use Task manager to get around. And when i m on MSN the log in alerts come at the top left instead of bottom right!
    Can anyone help? got a scanner? checker? help please?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

See the sticky 'security help tools'. In there is a section labeled 'Free fix and removal tools' listing several free antivirus programs.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

Another great way to check for malware, provided you can stay on the Internet long enough is to do an online antimalware scan....these days, they detect not only virii and trojans but minor and major ad and spyware etc.

**These directions as you see sometimes ask for a Hijackthis log, that is a tool we use to help spot problems...if you have suspicions that malware is on your computer, feel free to post your HJthis log and we will check it....directions are at the end of my reply.

Housecall online scan:
    http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools
    _ _ _ _
    Bit Defender online
    This online scanner is very thorough and can scan inside System Restore Points to delete
    bad files-- this will delete anything it finds infected!

• * Go here and do the BitDefender online virus scan.
    • Click "I Agree" to agree to the EULA.
    • Allow the ActiveX control to install when prompted.
    • Click "Click here to scan" to begin the scan.
    • Please refrain from using the computer until the scan is finished.
    • When the scan is finished, click on "Click here to export the scan results"
    • Save the report to your desktop so you can attach it to your next reply to this thread.

_ _ _ _
    Please follow the directions carefully, scan the entire computer, and save the logs or reports as it says to post in your reply here. You may find that a log is too long, in that case, attach the log to your reply, or, use two or more replies to post them.

HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
    • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
    • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
    • Enter your Country
    • Enter your State/Province
    • Enter your e-mail address and click send
    • Select either Home User or Company
    • Click the big Scan Now button
    • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
    • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
    • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
    • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

Or this one: Kaspersky online full scan
    • Please go HERE and click Free Online Scanner
    • Read and Accept the Agreement
    • You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
    • If you see a Windows dialog asking if you want to install this software, click the Install button.
    • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files,
    • When the "Update progress" line changes to "Ready" and the "NEXT ->" button becomes available, please click on it.
    • Click on the Scan Settings button, and in the next window select the Extended database, and click Ok.
    • Under "Please select a target to scan:", click My Computer to start the scan.
    • When the scan is finished, click the "Save as Text" button, and save the file as kavscan.txt to your Desktop, close the Kaspersky On-line Scanner window.

Let's have you post a log from Hijackthis and maybe we can spot anything out of place:
    go to Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • On that page, select one of the servers in the list under the Free Downloads heading
    • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then save the log and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Paste the log in your next reply.
    • Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

_ _ _ _
    Please also do this:
    • Open Hijack This and click on the "Open the Misc Tools section" button.
    • Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.
    • Click the "Save List" button. After you click the "Save List" button, you will be asked where to save the file. Pick a place to save it then the list should open in notepad.
    • Copy and paste that list here in your reply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice