1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think I have the CD burner working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starchild, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've been writing about various problems with this (below) and trying different things, and as of tonight (Thursday almost 10 PM) the thing seems to be working.

I uninstalled and installed and at one point it was saying it wasn't being detected, so I checked and the plug (in the adaptor, which is part way down the power cord) wasn't in tight. Though it had been in okay when I started.

So, once that was fixed, the software I reinstalled and downloads and upgrades, etc. must have kicked in.

So, the good part is, it seems to be working and doing what it's supposed to do.

The scary part is, I have no idea why :)

And, sometimes something simple and obvious is what's messing the whole thing up.

It's been a long, cold, "nothing seemed to work right" day, and I'm glad it's almost over!

~ Carrie

2. trevor1

trevor1

Are You A Christian?
    If so, that why

3. Flrman1

Flrman1

Trevor, Why do you ask Carrie if she is a Christian?

4. trevor1

trevor1

why not??

5. Flrman1

Flrman1

Just wondering what that had to do with the thread. Not that the question would not be valid in the appropriate forum or circumstances.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there starchild...

IMHO... it would be this...

All it takes is 1 pin to have a bad connection, to mess up the whole works ;) ...

7. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, maybe it wasn't meant as a joke (asking "are you a Christian?") but I just opened up this thread again and read it and just about laughed outloud. I try not TO laugh out loud, because the other people in the house think I'm crazy as it is...

I don't object to the question, and I don't consider myself a Christian (at least in the sense of how it's meant). I don't know if that's why I've had problems with the cd burner and everything was going wrong or not.

I don't know what to call myself. "Human being on the planet earth, doing the best I can, like everyone else?"

I once said that to a woman taking a phone survey and she said she didn't have enough room to fit that in. I said "how about New Age?" and she said that would fit.

I'm just me.

Okay, back to the CD burner. It worked this morning, then just now it didn't. I looked and the green light was on, on the power cord.

when I brought up HP RECORD NOW (Veritas HP Record Now version 3.1) and clicked on make a data CD it would say "there was no recording/rewritable device on my system". For the music one it would say it couldn't do this. Both would say "do you want to check for updates?" I would and get the HP page with the downloads, that I'd downloaded before.

I took out and put in so much stuff I can't remember what or when.

(a question with this, even if what I now have, VERSION 3.1 works, and does what I want, should I download the 3.5 one? And if so, do I have to take the 3.1 out first? )

So, I started the download AGAIN, and came here and read about how the bad connection or pin can do this.

I wiggled and pushed on the cord, even though the green light had been on, and the light went out. I pushed it again, and set it on it's side "just so" and the light came back on, and it now WORKS. At least the error box doesn't come up, the steps for making the recording start, like they should.

I am so PSYCHED when this happens and I actually get to do something with the cd burner!

Which means I'm just as DOWN when the error box comes up again.

I think "holding my breath when I click on it" has something to do with it working or not.

Are you suggesting maybe prayer?

I read somewhere that a study was done about this, how computers do seem to be effected by the thoughts and feelings of the person using them.

Anyway, if it's really something in the power cord, what should I do? I don't want to try sending it back and waiting. There's a piece of cord that plugs in the back of the writer, with an adaptor "box" on this, and another piece that plugs into this box which then goes to the power outlet. This is the plug (into the box) that I can push or turn (the box) and it goes off.

Maybe I can find out where it works and put a brick or something on it?

If I had some good tape I could tape it together tightly where it works.

I can see why people buy expensive, new computers with cd burners built in.

If I had any money I'd probably have done this today.

Thanks for the help and the laugh.

And if you didn't mean to be funny about the Christian thing, just accept it as another long, cold day here in the frozen north (LOL)

~ Carrie

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Aha. So it's an external HP CD writer and you're having a problem with the power adaptor for it.

If it's new and still under warranty, I would think HP would send you a new adaptor. Might want to contact them or the retailor you got the drive from.

Good luck.

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

It really sounds like the cord you are referring to has a short in it. I am not real sure from your description which cord it is, however it seems to me that the first and simplest step to take now would be to remove that cable and take it to your local retailer (CompUSA, Best Buy etc...) and see if you can get a new one and try that.

10. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

It's the power adapter cord. That plugs into the electric outlet.

I don't have any local computer dealer, probably Walmart (over in NH) might be the closest.

But I could write to HP about it.

I bought it from Target.USA I got it from "pricewatch.com". I think there is a Target.com, too?

I wasn't sure, I thought it was the same place.

I wasn't very pleased with them as a company. First they gave the price (on pricewatch) with $3 shipping, and when I went to order it, said that was ONLY for states that bordered on OH (and I live in VT) and it would be $15.54 for Fed Ex (3 day).

Okay, I was into it that far so continued.

They didn't SHIP it for a week. After I had emailed them to ask about it. When they confirmed the payment they said it would be shipped when their shipping dept got it packed and sent.

So, they shipped it a week later, and I ended up getting it 11 days after I ordered it and paid for it (with paypal)

I have a feeling THEY wouldn't be very concerned about the cord.

I could probably try and buy a replacement one. But if this is the problem with it, I can "set" the adaptor in one place and not wiggle it, and use it like this. At least for now.

I don't want to have to pack it all up and send it back. Or, send the cord back and wait weeks more to get another one.

It probably would be easier to buy a new one if and when I can afford it.

~ Carrie

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Carrie...

I would try getting in touch with both HP and Target, and see which one will honor the warranty, as it is either the adapter, or the power converter that is causing the problem...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice