1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think i lost my ob LAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

New build, 1.5 months or so, been working fine, my son tells me he cant use Explorer any more, but Netscape works, ok i figure spyware or something goofed up in the software, he wants to format anyway so i do, I load everything, mob/sound/lan drivers look in device mangr, no symbol for ethernet device, none, nada, i thouht that was strange, the drivers are loaded but no symbol at all in DM, so I figure bad format/install so i load win2k again look in DM nothing, now since its on board your screwed you cant move the card, you cant replace the card your dead. So whats the verdict dead mobo or at least that part of it, right?
    gigbyte 7nf-rz, sempron2500+, 512 pc3200, 6800gt

the problem is it was sorta working before i formatted so it seems strange that now win2k cant pick it up

2. norton850

norton850

No reason for it to have happened, but have you gone through BIOS to check if the onboard LAN is enabled?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It might be disabled in the BIOS or on the motherboard with a jumper.

Also are there any Unknown, Other, or devices with errors listed in Device Manager? What is all listed under the Network Adaptors section?

Worst case scenerio is that you have to buy a PCI ethernet card or send the mobo in for warranty.

4. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

could find no such setting for LAN in bios

5. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

no jumpers were touched, and bios had on settings for LAN, opened hidden devices or whatever thats called, no Realtek Codec97 or any ethernet devices were there, i even tried to manually install through DM, it just laughed at me. Well thank you gentleman for responding, I guess i'll RMA the thing let newegg sort it out, it was really wierd, the drivers were there but no device to be found, the light on at the connection was just on solid no flashing i think that means dead if i recall or problem., anyway thanks.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The LAN setting is under the Advanced -> Integrated Peripherals section in the BIOS. If you have the manual look at section 4.4.3; or thats where is it in the manual I downloaded from the ASUS site.

7. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

about the pci card thing I might have done that if the board was old but not when its a month and a half, besides that pci cards cant hold a candle to ob LAN it seems, unless maybe you spend more than $20. Itsmy sons pc and he does alot of online games Counter Strike, etc., it was probably a little suspect and he just cooked it with use, like to find out though.

8. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Oh crap sorry Triple, not the pc in the sig, its my sons Gigabyte listed at top i think

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice