1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think I may have fried my Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ssusca, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ssusca

ssusca Thread Starter

I think I may have fried my motherboard.

I recently got a new computer case and installed my Asus a7n8xe deluxe into it without using standoffs. When I tried to boot it up, I got nothing. No fans spinning, no beeps, no POST, nothing. When I realized what I had done, I quickly removed it and installed the standoffs. Now, I still get no beeps, however the fans spin (they are geting power from the MB) and the LED on the motherboard lights up and the power LED lights up. Nothing else happens. No POST. No nothing.

Is this thing toast? Is there any other damage that I may have caused to the machine or its components (hard drives, processor, memory, etc.)?

Please help

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would say there is a good chance you broke the board. Just screwing it down without standoffs can break traces and or solder on the board.
    To test it, pull it from the case and try for a post outside of the case.

Pull everything out of the case. Place the board on a non-conductive surface ie the mb box works well. Connect your power supply. Install your video card; making sure it is fully seated. Have just one ram chip installed along with the cpu / hsf. Connect the monitor to the video card. Power on your monitor and use a small screwdriver or other small metallic item to jump the power switch pins on the board. If it powers up and you get a display, great. If not, you will need to swap each part with a known working part ie cpu, board, ram, video, and power supply.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just for future reference here is how you mount a new board or install a new case.
    1 Pull the IO plate from the case.
    2 Place the board in the case and use a sharpie to mark the case where you need to install standoffs.
    3 Remove the board and install the standoffs.
    4 Install IO plate
    5 Place the board on the standoffs and slide it into the IO plate
    6 Secure with the screws provided.

4. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

RMA the MB if it's still under warranty.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

BTW if it didn't have standoffs your lucky you didn't touch the metal on the case you prolly woulda got a lil 12 volt shock.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

;) Only if he is very sensitive or standing in water. I have been zapped by 24v when working on a furnace/AC but only when I was either standing in water or working outside in the rain.

Then again, I am not too sensitive. I have been hit by 240v a few too many times as a "young" fellow. I now double check anything I am working on. I once pulled a disconnect only to find the guy that installed it put both sets of wires on the hot side.

Can I say electricians helper. :eek: :D

7. ssusca

ssusca Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I tried your suggestion and had no luck. I guess I’ll have to try the RMA route.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Only if he is very sensitive - Must be me!

I can feel 12 volts in a case not touching anything and wearing rubber sneakers. Its a slight hum almost (thats how I can decribe it almost like a virbation with a buzz and my hairs start to stand up slightly).

But then again I make static electricity all the time just standing up guess I am just lucky is all (yeah right).

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Follow the directions about how to install a board in my above post. You should be fine.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A 12V shock is so little that you'd have trouble noticing it. :D

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

My sentiments exactly. I have never felt anything under 24v, and even with 24v I had to be wet. :D

Well, if I stick a 9v battery on my tongue I feel it. :eek: A bit of a sour taste. :D

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Keep away from high voltage, high amp situations. :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice