I think I might have a ram problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DamonDamon

I have an AMD Athelon 2800+ and my OS is windows xp. I opened my case to see the speed of my ram because I was planning to buy more with my Christmas money. I think I was accidentally putting my RAM in upside down for a while and trying to jam it in there because I wasn't wearing my glasses at the time. When I realized it was upside down, I put my RAM back in fine and when I turn my computer on now, the monitor doesn't recognize my computer is on and my tower doesn't make the beeping noise it usually does during the boot-up process. Can anyone please help me?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The RAM only fits in one way, its keyed so it can't go in the opposite way. If the computer worked and recognized the RAM properly before you changed it then it had to be in the right way.

DamonDamon said:
I think I was accidentally putting my RAM in upside down for a while and trying to jam it in there because I wasn't wearing my glasses at the time. When I realized it was upside down, I put my RAM back in fine and when I turn my computer on now, the monitor doesn't recognize my computer is on and my tower doesn't make the beeping noise it usually does during the boot-up process. Can anyone please help me?
If you weren't wearing your glasses, how did you read the speed on the memory stick? ...lol

but seriously, it sounds like you damaged the RAM stick. If your computer won't boot, it's usually bad memory (or missing memory). Try removing the RAM chip, blow out the RAM slots to free any dust that may be blocking a contact, then with your glasses on!, re-seat the RAM properly and attemp to boot up.

if that doesn't work, you probably damaged your RAM chip. always remember to discharge static electricity from your body before touching any electronic component (especially something as sensitive as a RAM chip.

i think if you leave the ram out completely it will boot up to a error screen at least with maybe a error beep code of some sort

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online