1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think I need a new router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sovereign110, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sovereign110

Sovereign110 Thread Starter

My current router, a Network Everywhere NR041 Linksys one (cheapie $25 thing at Wal-Mart), is inefficiently handling my connection, I just heard. Apparently, it splits the bandwidth completely evenly across all three of our computers, although all three of us may not be using the internet as much. So if I'm downloading something and playing WC3 at the same time, I suffer because my bandwidth is capped, even though I should be getting more of it than my sister, who just idles on MSN (even when she's not home) and mom who just leaves the computer on and doesn't really use the internet anyway.

So I'm looking for a good new (wired) router. Should I get Linksys or D-Link? Any suggestions? I'm going to try to buy it locally to save time (I only save $12-$13 if I buy it off Newegg anyway, and then it takes a week to get here), here are a couple of my options:

http://tinyurl.com/fqw9b
    http://tinyurl.com/g6ohu

I'm basically just looking for a router that doesn't do what my current one does, because as it stands, I can't host games on things like b.net, and can't do other things I want to do (I can't get any port forwarding to work, I even tried setting myself as the DMZ Host and nothing happened). Trust me, I've tried everything, but it just doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

this will happen regardless what router your using.

3. Sovereign110

A friend of mine told me that his doesn't do that, and that it distributes bandwidth according to who's using it most. Regardless, I still can't do things using this router than I should be able to do, like host games and, uh, other things.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I doubt it's limitations of the router that are causing the issues. Hosting games requires you to forward ports, something that I'm sure the NR041 should be able to do.

5. Sovereign110

What else could be causing the problem?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since we have no idea exactly what is causing what you see, there's no reason to think a new router will solve the problem. Have you reset the router to factory defaults to see if that clears things up?

7. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

compare your DSL package to your friends.

8. Sovereign110

I've tried pretty much everything with this router to try and solve these problems, including resetting to factory defaults. Nothing works.

My friend has DSL and has problems doing these things as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice