1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think i've done something wrong?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by John31, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John31

John31 Thread Starter

My PC is old (6 yrs) and likely to become a victim of hammer rage very soon if I don't begin to understand it better and start learning to fix it.
    My first query is for a book reccomendation for the PC numpty (me). Big pictures and few words would be best. For the past 10 yrs. or so I've just 'got by' without learning anything of substance and now I'm in a pickle.
    But now to my main problem. Recently I had a problem with IE8. As I had no other browser to download it from new I got FIREFOX from my son's PC on a memory stick and renewed IE8 and all worked O.K. Thinking I new what I was doing I had a go at downloading OPERA. This seemed to be going O.K. but once downloaded I went back to the desktop where I noticed some ICONS (3) had been replaced by OPERA symbols, so I immediatley removed it and the icons returned to normal.
    The next day however, a no. of problems were noticed that may or may not have something to do with the aborted OPERA download that I have been unable to do anything about.

1) All the titles under the icons on the desktop are showing in ITALICS instead of vertical. Some parts of my e-mail page have done the same as have parts of the MSN home page.

2) Possibly linked and more worrying are word documents that have been typed in bold (titles) and then normal are now showing all in bold and I'm unable to change them. This only seems to affect existing documents.

Any light anyone is able to throw on these problems would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Try the following to resolve the italic icons.
    Right click on the desktop
    Click Properties
    Go to the Appearance tab.
    Click Advanced
    In the "item" drop down box, select Icon.
    Click to Deselect the Italic I box.
    Click OK.
    Click Apply.

3. Hughv

Hughv

The Opera icons showed up because you elected to make Opera your default browser when you installed it.
    File icons represent the default program choice for that file type.

4. John31

John31 Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies thus far. Got the italics sorted (at the 4th attempt - or it could just be the machine running very slow) but issues concerning OFFICE / e-mail / and a family ancestry programme my wife uses (all of a similar nature) suggest a further common problem. I'll try and zapgrab a few screenshots to illustrate the problem(s) and hope for further assistance.

5. John31

John31 Thread Starter

SOLVED - but not sure how. With the assistance of the office PC guru I checked to make sure that all the arial fonts were in place, and they were. We then googled the same question and found similar problems had occured and were mentioned on a similar site. Everything pointed toward a registry fault. I was looking at all kinds of things before starting something drastic when my wife said her programmes were working normally now. I checked mine and they were to. But I don't know why. Perhaps the TUNE UP 2011 which runs regular health checks inc. registry reset something or possibly the MaCafee that comes with my ISP did the job. Either way, I guess I'll never know. The hammer is back in the tool box.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice