1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think my chip is fried.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christhebarbie, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christhebarbie

christhebarbie Thread Starter

Well a computer friend of mine has a tower just like mine, and she says that the chip is fried. I dont know what this means, only that she wants to take a sledgehammer to it. Please help?
    P.S. Is there any way to do any sort of piggybacking with a different type of PC, so that she can get the personal info off of the old harddrive?

2. norton850

norton850

Hi and welcome to TSG.

Yes it is easy enough to slave a HD to another system and get the information off of it. Is that what you want to do or do you also wish to help her find out what is wrong with her system?

3. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

You would be amazed how many actual I.C.s (chips) there are inside an average computer. ;)

Getting data off a drive is usually as simple as installing it in another machine, although there may be a few Windows issues to overcome to access personal files.

Tell your friend to take her computer into a repair shop somewhere, so that the actual fault can be diagnosed, and perhaps repaired.
    It's obvious, but effective.

4. christhebarbie

christhebarbie Thread Starter

the comp is 10+ years old, and not really worth the 65/hr os so that dshe will be charged to repair the system. Isnt there a way that we can diagnose it from here, without pro help?

5. norton850

norton850

10+ years old... well it may not be worth repairing but I'm sure we would take a crack at what's wrong if you can provide the needed information as to what exactly is happening. Or if you just want the info off the disk we could do that also.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice