1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think my ethernet port is broken, might need internet/ethernet card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Psytos, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Psytos

Psytos Thread Starter

So a couples of days ago my computer lost connection a few times, but it got back up running without any problems, yesterday however I had huge problems browsing trough the internet and had problems connecting to pages several times, but downloading worked just fine, but today I'm not able to do anything, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, but when its connected the connection is so bad that I can't access a single site.
    I know it must be something wrong with my computer, because I've tested two different cables in two different ports, and I know one of the cables must work since I have no problems connecting to the internet on my Xbox 360, and all the other computers in the house have no internet problems what so ever, including the wireless connection on my laptop, and I also run into the same connection problem even in safe mode.
    I noticed that the light on my ethernet port is solid orange, but usually it is green, and I've tried to do a virus scan to check if that might be the problem, but I doubt it since I haven't accessed any pages I don't usually visit in a while and it didn't find any viruses.
    I have had some problems with the ethernet port before, but nothing that was permanent, I have experienced that my computer has had connection problems while everyone else in the house have had no problems, but after waiting a bit it suddenly reconnects and has worked just fine for many many months, and I've only experienced this problem a couple of times, but now even when it says it is connected I still have no connection.
    So if the ethernet port is broken should I just buy a ethernet/internet card?
    My mobo is a Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 (I've had it for about 8-9 months) and I'm running Win7

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty simple to install a nic card however just to make sure it is a hardware problem and not a windows/driver problem, boot the system with a linux live disk. If the network port works fine under linux, you know the hardware is ok and you have a windows/driver problem. If you have problems under linux, then you know you need to install a nic card.

There are a LOT of linux distros to choose from however in this case, I would use parted magic;
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

BTW that mb is over 2yrs old. Why did you do a build with that old of tech? I have that same exact mb running my linux server and it has been absolutely bullet proof. Runs an overclocked 2500k @4.4gig

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty simple to install a nic card however just to make sure it is a hardware problem and not a windows/driver problem, boot the system with a linux live disk. If the network port works fine under linux, you know the hardware is ok and you have a windows/driver problem. If you have problems under linux, then you know you need to install a nic card.

There are a LOT of linux distros to choose from however in this case, I would use parted magic;
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

BTW that mb is over 2yrs old. Why did you do a build with that old of tech? I have that same exact mb running my linux server and it has been absolutely bullet proof. Runs an overclocked 2500k @4.4gig

4. Psytos

Psytos Thread Starter

Because it was cheap when I bought it, and since its a pretty decent mobo I chose that one instead of a newer one, besides it was only about 1 year old when I bought it, which isn't really too old, and it has worked just fine with my 3570k clocked to 4.3GHz, so I'm pretty happy with my choice of mobo, I was also on a budget, so going with the P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 wasn't a bad idea at all IMO.
    I'm going to try and see if reinstalling my LAN will work, if not I'll try installing Linux to see if that works.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not have to install linux to test the port. It runs from a live disk/flash drive so you do not change anything on your hard drive.

6. Psytos

Psytos Thread Starter

well... reinstalling the LAN didn't work, so how do I use Parted Magic?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First you have to burn the iso to a cd/dvd. Note you cannot just copy the iso; you must burn the iso with a burning app like img-burn, cdburnerxp, etc. Once you create the bootable disk, restart your computer and enter the uefi. Make sure the optical drive is set as the first boot device; save settings and restart with the parted magic disk in the drive. Once it is up and running, simply use it as you would any os. Open a browser and see if you can access the web.

8. CJS23

CJS23

If you go to Device Manager, go on View menu and "Show Hidden Devices" - under Network Adapters do you . . . ?

1. Have any indication of a driver issue ie Yellow Exclamation Mark (US Yellow Bang) - if so try to Roll Back Driver from Driver Menu (Right Click the Adapter to access)

2. Are there multiple ISATAP adapter entries?

Also, does the network adapter work in Safe Mode With Networking? Press F8 during Windows startup)

9. Psytos

Psytos Thread Starter

Thanks, but I looked up a way to use my USB device as "boot disk", so I'm making my USB bootable right now.

I've already explained that I have the same problem while I'm in safe mode, but I do have 3 "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter":
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may or may not work. That board has uefi and not a bios AND there is no secure boot option in the menu. I never had any luck with a usb linux boot however the boot from a dvd/cd worked fine.

11. Psytos

Psytos Thread Starter

Yeah I'm also having some issues trying to boot with a USB, but I'm not sure If I have any CD's around that I can use

12. CJS23

CJS23

I would set a Restore Point, and install the ISATAP adapters along with the Network Adapter, reboot and see what happens.

Sometimes Windows Updates Drivers with the result being it stops working.

BEFORE you do that, I would identify the Adapter by VEN and DEV ID by right clicking the driver, choosing Details, Hardware IDs and getting the VEN and DEV ids, if you look at the example on my screen shot, I have circled them so on MINE it would be 8086 for the VENdor and 4227 for the DEVice.

You can then search for both using

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Attached Files:

13. Psytos

Psytos Thread Starter

But how do I install the ISATAP adapters and network adapter, I can't seem to find any info on where to download them or how to install them. (and since the ethernet port doesn't work like it should I'm not able to download and install any updates)

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You download the drivers from the asus site for that board. Use the system you are using to post in the thread to download the driver. Place it on a flash drive; plug in the flash drive to your problem system. Install the driver.

Here is the support page for your mb;
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PROGEN3/

15. Psytos

Psytos Thread Starter

But I don't know which drivers contain the ISATAP adapters and Network adapter, I've tried to reinstall the LAN driver, but that didn't work, so I don't really know which driver to download if the LAN driver doesn't contain the adapters.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1114019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice