1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think my HDD is failing...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nicolae, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nicolae

Nicolae Thread Starter

In the past week I've gotten a stop error on boot about "SystemRoot/system32/Config/Software" being corrupt or unreadable twice. (I've had to reimage twice, too).

Also, every linux install I've tried in the past 2 weeks (All slackware 10, 3 different installation media) has invariably crashed with bad block and unreadable block errors.

I ran housecall antivirus, it didn't find anything.

Oh, and I ran the diag disc that came with the HDD (... which according to Device Manager is a WDC WD12 00JB-00FUA0 SCSI Disk Device, which is bull, it's an IDE device connected though a promise ATA/66 PCI controller...)... and it said everything was alright.

P3 500 MHz
    384 MB RAM

I also have a second HDD (IBM Deskstar 20 GB), thus far it's not shown similar symptoms, but I rarely use it, so.

This is really annoying me, the HDD is only 6 months old...

2. ratchet

ratchet

Welcome to TSG.

You can download and run Western Digitals diagnostic software, Data Lifeguard Tools

As it only 6 months old you might be able to get it replaced.

Warranty Info

3. Nicolae

Nicolae Thread Starter

Thanks, and...

I checked, it's the same version as on their site...

Now I just have to find out where the receipt for it is...

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It reads as a scsi device because it is connected to a promise controller. Have you tried an install with the hd connected to a mb ide?

5. Nicolae

Nicolae Thread Starter

Not yet.
    The mobo IDE is only ATA/33, though...

Still, I'll try that later. I think I'll rerun the disg disk just to see what it comes up with.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice