1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I think my power supply died !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by melajewels, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melajewels

melajewels Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I can explain what happened to my pc clearly. I have an older gateway 450mhz and recently I tried to power it up and nothing happened, like it didn't have power. So I reset my power strip thinking it just tripped the breaker, and it started to come on, I could hear it power up and then it just shut off again, no power, lights or any thing. so I plugged it directly into the wall. and the same thing happened, started to power up, and it was like it would reach a certain power level and trip some kind of internal breaker or something.
    Hopefully there's someone out there that knows whats wrong and if its worth fixing..... Thanks alot for any replys
    Melajewels

PC is a Gateway 450mhz
    With Win XP on a 80gig HD
    And Win Millennium on a 2gig separate HD
    128 Ram

2. Firah

Firah

See that all cards, RAM and cables are firmly in place.

Disconnect the 2GB HDD.

Swap out the PSU with a known working one.

3. leoneire

leoneire

hi and welcome to TSG there is a small switch on the back of your PSU that determines the Voltage of your PSU! Have you or could anybody of have change the setting on this??? One setting is used for PowerSources or the US the other from Europe!

4. brite750

brite750

Since your pc is old I would change the cmos battery if you have not done so recently. If your psu is dead nothing should happen, at least when I have had psu's go bad they are just dead, you can flip the switch from now til doomsday and nadda will happen. Your symptoms can be caused by a variety of things so just be patient. I'll assume you are not getting any beeps when you hit the power, just some lights come on, maybe fan noise, and then it goes right off, is this correct??? What do you mean you could hear it power up, how so??

5. Cosmic

Cosmic

Your description is vague as too how far you get in the boot up. Can be all sorts of things.

Take the cover off, ensure the interior is not dirty. Can also pull the power supply remove its cover and inspect it for being dirty. Just being dirty can cause shutdowns. Also inspect the power supply for signs of damage. Should see brown or discolored areas if it has been overheating. Ensure the Power Supply fan start to rotate on startup.

Clean everything by vacuuming if there is any dirt or fuzz balls.

With the cover still off, attempt to boot. Watch for all fans starting to turn, in some computers it will shutdown if the ones cooling the CPU are not running. Listen for the hard drive starting.

Give us a little better description of the general condition of the PC, are fans running, etc.

It can also trip out via the internal safety shutdowns from the power supply if in current overload or voltage droop. After it trips feel the PSU case, CPU, general board area for any indications of hot spots. Don't directly touch components, use the backs of your fingers held close.

Is important to get the cover off and see, hear exactly what seems to be happening. Get down and watch when pushing the On button.

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Do the basic steps first:
    1. Open the computer and clean it using a can of compressed air. Make sure to get any dust off all the fans.
    2. Try turning it on and seeing if there's anything obviously wrong. (dead case or CPU fan)
    3. Make sure all the add-on cards, memory, and cables are plugged in firmly.
    4. Since your PC is a few years old, I'd get a replacement CMOS battery for the motherboard. It looks like a big watch battery. Just pop it out and take it to the store with you. Shouldn't cost more than $10.

7. n2gun

n2gun

You could also while the case is open reseat all the cards and the memory. It is possible that there is a dirty contact of a loose connection.

8. melajewels

melajewels Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll try cleaning it and checking for the obvious ( Bad connections ),and also change the CMOS battery.
    I'll let you know if it works or not.
    Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice